Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk alcohol test strips?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone heard of the breast milk test strips that test for alcohol?
I just read about them.
Are they accurate? Has anyone used them?
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we have heard of them here. No, they are not accurate. One of the moderators tried them when she was completely sober (and pregnant) and it said she had alcohol in her milk. They have a warning that household cleaners can cause a false positive. : / 

They're a waste of money because if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to nurse. There is rarely a need to skip nursing after one drink unless you get majorly buzzed or drunk from that one drink. I never limited nursing my babies due to having a drink or two. I sipped slowly so I didn't get much of a buzz because my son was such a constant nurser and I could never predict when he would need to nurse again.

babylove041810
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:53 AM
My ds is a pretty constant nurser also. There's a lot of times where he'll eat at least once an hour. He like to do five minute feedings every 30-45 minutes or so.
I'd like to sip on a drink but I'm too scared of it getting to him because of how he nurses . I was hoping those tests were good :(

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yes, we have heard of them here. No, they are not accurate. One of the moderators tried them when she was completely sober (and pregnant) and it said she had alcohol in her milk. They have a warning that household cleaners can cause a false positive. : / 

They're a waste of money because if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to nurse. There is rarely a need to skip nursing after one drink unless you get majorly buzzed or drunk from that one drink. I never limited nursing my babies due to having a drink or two. I sipped slowly so I didn't get much of a buzz because my son was such a constant nurser and I could never predict when he would need to nurse again.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 6, 2013 at 4:13 AM
The rule is safe to drive, safe to nurse. I feel nothing with one glass of wine, so ill occasionally have one with dinner. I start sipping on it while baby is nursing.

Quoting babylove041810:

My ds is a pretty constant nurser also. There's a lot of times where he'll eat at least once an hour. He like to do five minute feedings every 30-45 minutes or so.

I'd like to sip on a drink but I'm too scared of it getting to him because of how he nurses . I was hoping those tests were good :(

Quoting aehanrahan:

babylove041810
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM
I've heard that but I have a very low tolerance. I'll probably just end up waiting until I'm ready to give him bottles and I'm pumping this way I can just give him a bottle if I've had a drink with no worry. But he's only 7 weeks so it might be a while...

Quoting JadeTigr7:

The rule is safe to drive, safe to nurse. I feel nothing with one glass of wine, so ill occasionally have one with dinner. I start sipping on it while baby is nursing.

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting aehanrahan:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
For my first drink after dd was born I waited until she was asleep. (She usually slept from 10pm-2am) so I started nursing. Beer at 10. I don't drink more than one drink per hour. Very very little gets into your bloodstream.

Even if you were legally drunk, the alcohol in your blood would be .08 (same as your bac). Which is minimal! So feel free to enjoy a beverage in moderation. By the way those bud light straw-bet-itas are delish!

Edit to add what made me feel better about having that first drink was finding a study that actually tested the composition of moms milk at various points in time after a shot. The peak alcohol concentration after mom consumed one shot of alcohol was the equivalent of a shot of alcohol diluted into 75 gallons of soda! An expired bottle of grape juice is gonna have more alcohol than that!
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
You should definitely do what you feel comfortable with.

I had my first glass if wine the day after my daughter was born.

Quoting babylove041810:

I've heard that but I have a very low tolerance. I'll probably just end up waiting until I'm ready to give him bottles and I'm pumping this way I can just give him a bottle if I've had a drink with no worry. But he's only 7 weeks so it might be a while...

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting aehanrahan:

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM

This!

Quoting aehanrahan:

BabyFruit Ticker

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM
VERY LITTLE of the alcohol passes through the milk, so if you take small sips very slowly and don't get a buzz, your milk will be fine. I even sipped a drink WHILE nursing my baby on a few occasions.
You do what you're comfortable with. I'm just trying to reassure you that it is possible with a constant nursing baby. If you have a low tolerance, start with sipping a shot glass amount of beer or wine or whatever you want to have. I want you to be aware that giving your baby a bottle when you're available to nurse can be detrimental to the nursing relationship and your supply.

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
This is true. And it's like your tears, which have even less alcohol than your blood. Each body system breaks down the alcohol more and more.

No one is telling you to get bombed and breastfeed. We just see so many moms who think breastfeeding is too hard because you can't eat this or that and can't drink this or that, and almost always, it's all good.

Quoting aehanrahan:

VERY LITTLE of the alcohol passes through the milk, so if you take small sips very slowly and don't get a buzz, your milk will be fine. I even sipped a drink WHILE nursing my baby on a few occasions.

You do what you're comfortable with. I'm just trying to reassure you that it is possible with a constant nursing baby. If you have a low tolerance, start with sipping a shot glass amount of beer or wine or whatever you want to have. I want you to be aware that giving your baby a bottle when you're available to nurse can be detrimental to the nursing relationship and your supply.

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting aehanrahan:

babylove041810
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Well I do think breast feeding is hard but not because of giving up certain foods or drinks. I'd rather miss out on them so I can make sure my baby is healthy.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

This is true. And it's like your tears, which have even less alcohol than your blood. Each body system breaks down the alcohol more and more.

No one is telling you to get bombed and breastfeed. We just see so many moms who think breastfeeding is too hard because you can't eat this or that and can't drink this or that, and almost always, it's all good.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)