Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

6 month appointment vent!

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok just wanted to vent here for a second;

Took my dd for her six month check up and shots :( she weighs almost 16 lbs (birth weight was 7lb14.8 oz) anyways she's ebf no solids at all yet, I was just waiting for her to be fully sitting with no assistance to start BLS. But when the doc asked about solids I said we hadn't started yet. He says well that's ok it optional from 4-6 months but at 6 months you HAVE to start solids because she can't get everything from you.
EXCUSE ME?! Ugh, then he tried go convince me to start with cereal and I declined and explained I thought it was a waste of time with no nutritional value. Which he then argued that they are iron fortified and she doesn't get that from BM alone, smh !! He said to do polyvisol with iron..... I just smile and nod, they told me to start that at 4 weeks... Did I? Hell no and she's just fine thank you. Ok vent over! It's just frustrating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Analugojana
by Christine on May. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Ah, the usual.I have mine tomorrow. I haven't started solids either because she's nowhere near sitting by herself or having a pincer grasp. I'll probably lie through my teeth.

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I have the 4 month appt this week and I'm sure I will get the "start cereal now" talk.  Ugh.

TardisBlue
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I loved our doctor in Utah, he never pushed that kind of info. He just told me it was okay to start solids but to keep a good eye on the baby to make sure he was really ready and not to worry if the baby refused to eat solids for a day or longer as long as he still nursed okay. Best doctor ever!

jendigme
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Lol, I'm gunna lie through my teeth at her next appointment I'm sure. That's what I told my mom when he left the room. That and she's growing healthy if there was an issue with her weight he never even brought it up. GL with ur app tomorrow btw :)

Quoting Analugojana:

Ah, the usual.I have mine tomorrow. I haven't started solids either because she's nowhere near sitting by herself or having a pincer grasp. I'll probably lie through my teeth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendigme
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I just flat out told them no at her 4 month, and there were fine with that. They can't make you give that crap to your baby. Just put ur foot down :)

Quoting SadieJames:

I have the 4 month appt this week and I'm sure I will get the "start cereal now" talk.  Ugh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendigme
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Sound like it :) lucky!

Quoting TardisBlue:

I loved our doctor in Utah, he never pushed that kind of info. He just told me it was okay to start solids but to keep a good eye on the baby to make sure he was really ready and not to worry if the baby refused to eat solids for a day or longer as long as he still nursed okay. Best doctor ever!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmama11212
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I was just about to vent over this -.-" shes wants me to start him on cereal or formula cause hes a little low on iron so hes sitting and has the pinscer grasp so i might start spinach but pissed me off!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by Christine on May. 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

There are two doctors in my family care practice, a husband and wife. I'm with the woman but when she's not avaliable I have to see him. He offered rice cereal at 5 months and even gave me a sample from Nestle. The next appointment was with her. No mentioning of cereal or anything. So we'll see.

Quoting jendigme:

Lol, I'm gunna lie through my teeth at her next appointment I'm sure. That's what I told my mom when he left the room. That and she's growing healthy if there was an issue with her weight he never even brought it up. GL with ur app tomorrow btw :)

Quoting Analugojana:

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM
how old? and I cannot believe that she told you to start formula because of low iron.... quackers!

Quoting proudmama11212:

I was just about to vent over this -.-" shes wants me to start him on cereal or formula cause hes a little low on iron so hes sitting and has the pinscer grasp so i might start spinach but pissed me off!!

LilliansMama27
by Candy on May. 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Just had our 4 month appointment and I was very happy she didn't mention cereal. She said she recommends introducing solids at 6 months and gave me a handout about that and sleep patterns. I have never lied to her because I feel like she can't force me to do anything and if I disagree with anything she recommends I'm going to tell her flat out. 

I am right there with you. I would have told him that that iron actually makes it more difficult for the iron in breast milk to be absorbed so his theory is flawed. I told this to my mom and yet she asks if I've given my dd rice cereal every time I see her...since she was 6 weeks old *sigh* smh...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)