Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

EBF Mom Vent....

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DD2 is 12 weeks and I've been EBF from birth.  Very proud of myself because my DD1 I BF for 2 weeks and gave up and everyone kept saying I should've stuck with it and how much better BF would've been.  So this time I was determined to stick it out.  I started pumping around 3 weeks and introduced the bottle around that time with cereal.  (Dr recommendation due to Reflux)  Around that same time he prescribed Zantac for the Reflux.  She wasn't spitting up but was in a lot of pain.  Now she's been on the Zantac fo 2 months and now the spit up has started and it's like she spits up EVERYTHING she just ate.  I called the doctor and the nurse says that the only solution is formula.  Every time something is wrong, everybody suggests formula.  Isn't BF better/healthier?!  When I formula fed Bf'ing was recommended.  Now that I'm BF'ing, formula keeps getting recommended.  I can't win for losing.  And I have a hard time beliving formula is the only thing that will help with reflux and spit up.  BF is no easy task.  I have to watch what I eat, watch the meds I take, on call to my DD2 whenever she wants milk, pump in between feedings, etc.  It's a JOB!  And then every other day people are suggesting formula!  I mean would you suggest alcohol to a recovering alcoholic?!  When suggest formula when I obviously want to BF?!  

Any suggestions for the excessive spit up?  Yes I sit her up after feedings, I don't bounce her around, I burp her mid feeding, etc.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Often reflux is merely reaction to mom's letdown. Since Zantac isn't working, I'd say you do NOT have reflux here.

Look up fast letdown on kellymom. Coping strategies are there.

ali840
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry you're going through this! You are absolutely right that bm is better for reflux than formula. My babies never had trouble with reflux, but I'm sure someone on here will have some great advice for you. Maybe check out Kellymom.com? I'm sure there's some info there. Good luck and keep it up!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM
My son had the same problem. I cut my milk consumption in half and upper my water and it helped. Also, the cereal doesn't really stop the reflux so much as it fills the belly. Try gas drops right before feeding too.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

ditto the overactive letdown suggestion.   does she gag or choke, or does your milk spray?

cereal doesn't help with reflux, so it's awful that they suggested that.   what diet restrictions have you put on yourself, and why?  why pump between feedings?   nursing should make your life easier, not harder!  :)

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM

12 weeks was about the magic point for us where is magically STARTED to get better on its own ;) hold on, it does get easier.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Wow... 3 weeks is so young to start cereal :( try reclined nursing.
mamala23
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I had a similar issue of reflux with my daughter- the Zantac worked for maybe a week, than stopped so we tried Prevacid and it changed our life...my daughter was 3 months old when reflux was diagnosed....and now at 8 months she has outgrown it. Think about how much worse formula would make it...breast milk much gentler...good luck and keep up the good job!

slovette
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM

She does choke/cough during feedings.  And sometimes when she gets off, my milk will spray out.  Yea I was curious when the doctor said cereal in every bottle.  I said I'm BF.  So he said ok whenever you do give her a bottle, put cereal in it.  He even suggested spoon feeding cereal but I haven't.  I don't eat/drink dairy, no citrus, no green veggies, no beans, etc.  They had me make those changes around 2 weeks cuz she had gas issues.  And it has helped.  I pump because I'm storing milk for when I'm not home and my mom keeps her so she can feed her and also for when I go back to work.  You saying I shouldn't pump?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

ditto the overactive letdown suggestion.   does she gag or choke, or does your milk spray?

cereal doesn't help with reflux, so it's awful that they suggested that.   what diet restrictions have you put on yourself, and why?  why pump between feedings?   nursing should make your life easier, not harder!  :)

slovette
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I don't consume any dairy because I'm lactose intolerant.  And I drink half my body weight in oz of water daily.

Quoting RandiBear:

My son had the same problem. I cut my milk consumption in half and upper my water and it helped. Also, the cereal doesn't really stop the reflux so much as it fills the belly. Try gas drops right before feeding too.

slovette
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Someone else told me Zantac only worked for a little while for them and then they switched to Prevacid.  I called the dr today and they nurse said the dr wants to see her but nothing open til Wednesday and then she said he will probably just up the Zantac dose.

Quoting mamala23:

I had a similar issue of reflux with my daughter- the Zantac worked for maybe a week, than stopped so we tried Prevacid and it changed our life...my daughter was 3 months old when reflux was diagnosed....and now at 8 months she has outgrown it. Think about how much worse formula would make it...breast milk much gentler...good luck and keep up the good job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN