Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping confusion

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm pumping several times a day because I had to go back to work. I have a 6 hour shift and I was wondering if I don't pump for those 6 hours will it ruin my supply?
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

You really should pump...  Can you nurse baby before your shift, pump one 3 hours in, and then nurse immediately when you get off?

EmmasMommy324
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Yeah I'm trying to pump at least 3-4hrs in but sometimes we're so busy. Do you think I have to do the full 15min or is 5-10min okay?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

You really should pump...  Can you nurse baby before your shift, pump one 3 hours in, and then nurse immediately when you get off?

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I pumped while working and never knew there was a 15 minute rule.  Do what feels right to you...  (Sometimes I'd only give it 5 minutes, and sometimes I'd be there for half an hour).

Quoting EmmasMommy324:

Yeah I'm trying to pump at least 3-4hrs in but sometimes we're so busy. Do you think I have to do the full 15min or is 5-10min okay?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It won't ruin your supply but will leave you uncomfortable. 

If your employer hasa total payroll of 50+ they have to accomodate you. But if they can't, 5-10 minutes is fine. I would pump for only that long when I was at a trade show.

shortyali
by Alicia on May. 7, 2013 at 5:17 AM
I work 6 hr shifts and am technically only supposed to have a 10 minute break. I really take closer to 12 because it takes me about 2 minutes to set up and 2 to break down (the 2 minutes each is walking from my desk to the room and pulling everything already out together out of my bag). I only ever pump for 8 minutes max. Even when I pump every morning I set my alarm for 8 minutes then I'm done.
EmmasMommy324
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Yeah my employer said she has no problem with it and we are well under 50 employees. It's just more of a question if I was too busy to do it at the time to do it can I last till 6hrs and still be okay. Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

Quoting gdiamante:

It won't ruin your supply but will leave you uncomfortable. 

If your employer hasa total payroll of 50+ they have to accomodate you. But if they can't, 5-10 minutes is fine. I would pump for only that long when I was at a trade show.

EmmasMommy324
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Oh that's great to know. I did 7 tonight and I def felt some relief. Thanks so much for feedback :)

Quoting shortyali:

I work 6 hr shifts and am technically only supposed to have a 10 minute break. I really take closer to 12 because it takes me about 2 minutes to set up and 2 to break down (the 2 minutes each is walking from my desk to the room and pulling everything already out together out of my bag). I only ever pump for 8 minutes max. Even when I pump every morning I set my alarm for 8 minutes then I'm done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)