Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

hypothyroid & breast feeding

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM
  • 11 Replies
I have breast feed six kids & was a complete dairy cow! No problems ever! Always had to much milk. My kids are 18 to 7 years old now. I'm older and have developed hypothyroid issues. I heard it can give you problems breast feeding. and I'm worried that I may have issues due to being a bit older to. Does any have any idea if this make a difference or any tips? Thanks so much!
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm hypothyroid and I'm sitting here nursing my 1 week old right now. Personally, I have not had any problems breastfeeding and I've been hypothyroid for 15 years. But, just like everything else, everyone is different. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_more_please
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Have u nursed before u were hypothyroid? If so is it any different now? Thank u for you're help!

Quoting jeniprice:I'm hypothyroid and I'm sitting here nursing my 1 week old right now. Personally, I have not had any problems breastfeeding and I've been hypothyroid for 15 years. But, just like everything else, everyone is different. Good luck!!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Age shouldn't give you any trouble. If you're body cooperates and gets pregnant, you should produce milk just fine.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as you treat your thyroid and stay on top of ensuring your medication doses are correct...shouldn't have any issues.
paramore-marie
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I've had hypothyroidism for about 5yrs now(im 19) and I've been very anemic my whole life & I've had asthma since the day I was born. I've EBF my little bear for 4mos now with no problems. I even had an oversupply issue at one point! Don't let your medical issue make you think you can't do it! You can! Keep up on your medication and take it properly and you shouldn't have any issues.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Untreated hypothyroid can cause low milk supply. Take your meds and all should be fine!

Debnew1000
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM
If you're really worried you can get regular blood tests and get put of thyroid medicine. Synthroid is a pregnancy/BFing cat A drug which means its completely safe to take while BFing. I've been hypothyroid since I was 18 and on medication since I was 22. Without proper hormone levels your milk supply can dwindle, but so long as you are aware of the situation you can monitor it and make a decision based upon your observations and personal feelings about the issue.

If you do decide to medicate, I would suggest finding an endocrinologist though. An Endo will have more knowledge about how to properly medicate a nursing mom than your regular internist.

Quoting one_more_please:

I have breast feed six kids & was a complete dairy cow! No problems ever! Always had to much milk. My kids are 18 to 7 years old now. I'm older and have developed hypothyroid issues. I heard it can give you problems breast feeding. and I'm worried that I may have issues due to being a bit older to. Does any have any idea if this make a difference or any tips? Thanks so much!

Britania
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I have had hypothyroidism for 6 years. I haven't had any issues breastfeeding. I have been faithfully taking meds to keep my thyroid levels at a normal level.
The only time my supply totally dropped off, I found out I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I have hypothyroidism. I've breastfed for a year now and I just found out I have it around 3 months ago. I didn't see any problems with my milk before I was diagnosed, and I don't see any problems now on the meds. I have heard that if you have hypothyroidism your milk will be low. But no I've been good...
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Also, giving birth can cause thyroid levels to get even more out of whack, so just make sure it's monitored after you give birth. As long as your med dosage is correct you should be fine as others have said.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)