Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what is going on?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 12 Replies
I'm a first time mom and breast feefing. Almost every day my daughter scrunches up her legs and starts to scream like she is in lots of pain. I can do nothing for her to stop. I pat her back and bottom. I walk. I give her a few drops of gas drops. Last night was the longest time she has screamed yet. What can I do to help her? Do you think it is gas? I don't know what to do.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM
it sounds like gas. Try gently bicycling her legs and pushing them up to her chest. You can try infant massage or give her a warm bath if she enjoys that. There's also a thing called gripe water. Also i would look into over active letdown to see if that may be what is causing all her gas. But at this age their digestive systems are so new and still working out the kinks so even if it's not OAL it is still normal.
potgieter
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

def sounds like gas... none of the normal techniques worked for dd when she had gas. Took a while before I found something that did and that changed everything!

baby2013143
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Thank you. It makes me feel so bad that I can't do anything for her. I almost cried last night because I didn't know what to do. It didn't make me feel like a good mom.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

it sounds like gas. Try gently bicycling her legs and pushing them up to her chest. You can try infant massage or give her a warm bath if she enjoys that. There's also a thing called gripe water. Also i would look into over active letdown to see if that may be what is causing all her gas. But at this age their digestive systems are so new and still working out the kinks so even if it's not OAL it is still normal.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM
((Hugs)) you're doing fine momma! The newborn days are the toughest I promise!

Quoting baby2013143:

Thank you. It makes me feel so bad that I can't do anything for her. I almost cried last night because I didn't know what to do. It didn't make me feel like a good mom.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Please read the kellymom.com info on fast letdown. It's the most common cause of this gas.

There will be MANY times baby will be unhappy. MANY. It's OK. The mark of a good mom is not a happy baby. Nope, you will make her unhappy LOTS of times in the interest of raising a healthy, responsible adult. **smile** 

veganistic
by on May. 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

what worked for you??

Quoting potgieter:

def sounds like gas... none of the normal techniques worked for dd when she had gas. Took a while before I found something that did and that changed everything!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

potgieter
by on May. 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I felt bad, and my mom came from south africa to help for a week and she is a baby guru! and even with her there dd would cry inconsolably for a really long time - until we figured out what worked for her. 

Here is a link of what i used ( well, i adapted it to suit me but still) 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/04/23/151053367/swaddling-and-shushing-help-soothe-babies-after-vaccinations 

The link is for after vaccination but it worked for this too, and adjusting my hands put pressure in the right places to put pressure on to get the gas out!

Quoting baby2013143:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

catholicmamamia
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

OAL..  http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Elle.tea.22
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Sounds like gas. I just keep pumping his legs and he farts like a mad man. Didn't know he could have so much in there!

newmom3917
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
When my son does that its normally gas or hes super overtired. One way I found that really helps him besides the bicycling thing with his legs (doesnt always help my son) but I hold him like a cradle hold except with his belly facing the ground. The pressure from my arm across his belly helps release the gas. Also laying him on his back & rubbing his belly lightly helps too
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)