Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Huge rant: I'm going to be one of those moms nursing a 12 year old

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 14 Replies
My son will be 3 next month and is obsessed with the boob. He nurses more now than an infant. Its taking a huge toll on me both physically and mentally. My body wants to act like I'm in menopause because after 5 years if such low hormones its confused as heck. I get no sleep since he nurses non stop at night. I night weaned him maybe 6 weeks ago but he still woke up 6 times a night crying so the last few days I've given in out of sheer exhaustion and desperation. But my boobs are so sore due to the frequent nursing and low hormones that nothing can even brush across them without sending me through the roof. I'm cranky sore and tired and I've been so mean to my kids lately. I have become very depressed and I cry all the time especially from.guilt over being so snappy with everyone. I think this is again from hormones and lack of sleep plus feeling like I have not one second of any single day for myself. I'm a mess. This whole post is merely a rant since no advice, suggestion or method has or ever will work for this child. I'm stuck breastfeeding with no end in sight. I did wean three children before him and one while tandem nursing at 2 1/2 but he's not like any other nursling. I feel stuck. Like a prisoner to my own child.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilliansMama27
by Candy on May. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I'm so sorry you feel this way :( It must be frustrating to feel like you're ready to wean him, but he's not ready. I wish I had some helpful advice, but I'm just nursing my first baby so I've never had to go through this. I just hope you find the answer you need to help you to not feel this way (or to help wean him)! *hugs*

mama2gg
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I've never weaned but if that was me my son would just deal with it and cry and learn to self cope in another way he can't MAKE you bf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomanT08
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I'm sorry you are going through this. Sounds like it may be affecting everyone. I've never been in your situation but if I were I would probably feel like cutting him off completely.I would feel bad but its affecting everyone in a negative way and its not fair.

I would try to replace it with some other things. Big boy cups and such. Make a new special bed time routine with him. This is hard! Probably harder for you than him! I don't know what else to say. Hugs!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Three year olds are bribable. Give him a reward for not nursing. Whatever will work for him.

You might also check to see if you're pregnant again.

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Are you pregnant?

As far as the weaning goes, even if you don't want to wean completely, at least set some limits.  You can end nursing sessions when they get to be too much by telling him he has one more twinkle twinkle, singing twinkle twinkle little star, and then unlatching him.  ((hugs))  Is there any way that you can get some time for yourself out and away from him for a while?

shelley11709
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I was going to mention the pregnancy thing too!

He is old enough to understand if you talk to him about at night the boobies go to sleep and won't wake up until the sun is up. Also set limits. It might get down to just out stubborning him. Distractions, rewards for not nursing, talking about being a big boy and not needing the boobie anymore.

Sorry you are having such a rough time! I hope you get some sleep and some nursing free time soon.
Mommyzlovez
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I was unsuccessful with my first in nursing and my secnd due to my hormoes only lasted a week, I was NUTS. This our third (due in Nov) I plan on gving it a go..I cant offer advice but I can offer prayer and will do so before bed each and every night, when we as moms can not, God can (dont know if you are a Christian but I am lol). If that's alright with you.."O'Lord you designed our bodies and gave us this way to feed our young, plas Lord give her rest and mental peace and strength, help her body to heal and do what it needs to do. Help this precious little one get what he needs and to give his moy rest for what ever reason he is eatting this much and way please Lord only you fully know why, n Jesus name we pray Amen." Hey just thought of something, how is your diet? Something could be affecting your milk, there are tons of ways to up the quality and amount....this could cause him to want to feed more often and not be satisfied. Maybe this isnt what it is just a thought love.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
5 moms liked this
Hugs mama, take a pregnancy test and set limits. Breastfeeding is a relationship, that means you need to also consider yourself and.how nursing is effecting you. Also, three yr olds are challenging, nursing or not. Hang in there, he will.learn to adjust to your needs as well and find other ways to get comfort from you when those limits are set.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Try some chaste berry extract. It helps your body regulate its hormones. Worked wonders with my almost psychotic PMS.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Three year olds are very bribable!!!

I agree with all of this!

Quoting gdiamante:

Three year olds are bribable. Give him a reward for not nursing. Whatever will work for him.

You might also check to see if you're pregnant again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN