Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby due in Sept-First time attempting breastfeeding-Advice needed

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 4 Replies

I am due with my second baby in September.  I did not breast feed with my first baby because i had to return to work after my maternity leave and it was just easier being single mom to bottle and go.  This time i will be home and wanted to breast feed and or pump.  I have NO clue about it.  If anyone has any tips or things they learned over the years I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Head to the bookstore. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For!" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. It will give you a lot of the basics you need and should be considered required reading before you buy another thing for baby.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Congrats mama! I'm also due with my second child in September!!! I agree with G, also check out kellymom.com and lurk around this site and ask any question that comes to mind!

Good luck mama, you can do it!!!
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Def read, read, read. As a first time mom & a first time breastfeeder I think the key to my success was educating myself as much as I could before the baby came. That way I knew what was normal & not normal & where to go for help. Breastfed babies are a lot different than formula fed babies. Get the books mentioned above as soon as possible, check out Kellymom.com, read the posts here, post lots of questions here (there is no TMI I promise) & if you can find a La Leeche League in your area for meetings & support groups. The ladies in this group are amazing & will help you every step of the way :)

When I had my baby I didn't have any visitors at the hospital except my hubby. I laid in bed with my baby doing skin to skin (I was topless & baby was only in a diaper). I let her have constant access to my breasts. I also didn't let her out of my sight for even a minute. I personally don't trust those nurses & Dr's. I was afraid they would give her formula. It was hard because I really didn't sleep but it paid off in the end.

Good luck & congrats :)

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Def read, read, read. As a first time mom & a first time breastfeeder I think the key to my success was educating myself as much as I could before the baby came. That way I knew what was normal & not normal & where to go for help. Breastfed babies are a lot different than formula fed babies. Get the books mentioned above as soon as possible, check out Kellymom.com, read the posts here, post lots of questions here (there is no TMI I promise) & if you can find a La Leeche League in your area for meetings & support groups. The ladies in this group are amazing & will help you every step of the way :)

When I had my baby I didn't have any visitors at the hospital except my hubby. I laid in bed with my baby doing skin to skin (I was toplessĀ & baby was only in a diaper). I let her have constant access to my breasts. I also didn't let her out of my sight for even a minute. I personally don't trust those nurses & Dr's. I was afraid they would give her formula. It was hard because I really didn't sleep but it paid off in the end.

Good luck & congrats :)

This--especially the part about the hospital. And beware of anyone who claims to be a Lactation Consultant. Ask if she is Internationally Board Certified.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN