Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this too pushy? **EDIT**

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 26 Replies

So I ran into a childhood neighbor the other day. She's expecting her first baby. She has her heart set on nursing and I wanted to e-mail her some information. I need all of your opinions about whether this is too pushy or personal for someone I haven't seen in 20 years or so. We weren't really friends then but we had a really nice visit.

I hope your pregnancy is still going well, You're getting really close to baby time now, it's so exciting! I'm sure baby Eleanor will be here befor you know it. I know you won't have a lot of time to read when she gets here so I thought this website www.kellymom.com might come in handy while you still have some downtime. This site has the answers to any questions you might have. It's run by and IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). It is the absolute best source of breastfeeding information I've found. This www.kellymom.com/normal/newborn-nursing  is a great article to start with. it tells you what to expect for the first month or so, it's really thorough. This www.kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/pacifier/ is something I wish I had read before my 1st and 2nd babies. With Violet it didn't matter because she wouldn't take a pacifier anyway and she has been my best nurser yet ( I think the latter is because of the former). Sometimes I think "Ok, I know what I'm doing now, finally, with my 3rd baby" but I have a feeling if I had another one I would learn this much all over again. This site also has great info for pumping and bottle feeding the breastfed baby for when you go back to work.

One more thing and then no more unsolicited advice, promise! You are the one person in this whole world who knows what's best for your baby. Trust yourself. I've heard many stories of labor/delivery nurses and pediatricians pushing formula on breastfeeding mothers because they find it easier to control (they know how much baby is getting, it's what they're used to, etc.) Becoming a new mother is amazing but confusing, too. Have a plan for what to say if a nurse or doctor starts telling you baby is not getting enough. Count dirty/wet diapers and you can be confident baby girl is getting enough to eat.

Okay, all done. I know you have lots of friends that are new mom's, too, so you're probably much better prepared than I was. Sorry again for all the unsolicited advice, sometimes I don't know when to stop! I know you'll do great! Anytime you have questions you can certainly email, text or call me.

Best of luck!

**EDIT** Thanks, ladies! I wanted to add that I thought about directing her here, but I was afraid she would find herself asking bfing questions in the Advice for Moms or Babies group, and we all know what happens then! While I was on kellymom today I saw they have a facebook page where you can ask questions, hopefully she'll see that. If she writes back I might tell her about this group full of awesome sauce (that one's for you, SadieJames!;) 

Also, how much do you LOVE the name she chose, Eleanor? I think it is so beautiful! I told her if I had thought of it I might have used it instead of Violet.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilliansMama27
by Candy on May. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM

If she has her heart set on nursing this isn't too pushy. It's just what she needs, information. I know I had my heart set on nursing and I got so much information just so I would feel somewhat prepared. I also made it a point to myself that there was no other option for me. I was going to make it work one way or another! lol. This group of ladies has been priceless for me so I would also recommend coming here with questions as well :)

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I think it's great and something I wouldn't mind have had sent to me.  If she responds with something like "thanks" and nothing else then let it be - but if she comes back with "thanks so much I needed this yadayada" then direct her here!

mamala23
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I don't think it is pushy because you know she wants to nurse. I think it is very thoughtful that you took the time- and if that was sent to me I would be very appreciative

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yay awesome sauce! I love Eleanor - it was a top choice for us.  We had Lillian (her name), Eleanor, Pearl and Ruby.  

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I think it's sweet. You write very well!
ali840
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Ruby was my # 2 choice! I love that name, Pearl is beautiful, too. I love that old classic names are coming back. Especially the jewel and flower names.

Quoting SadieJames:

Yay awesome sauce! I love Eleanor - it was a top choice for us.  We had Lillian (her name), Eleanor, Pearl and Ruby.  

ali840
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Awwww... Thanks so much! That's really sweet, I enjoy it.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I think it's sweet. You write very well!

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Lillian was a family name and I just couldn't imagine using another but DH wanted options "in case she doesn't look like a Lillian" lol.  

I do too! I got very tired of the "funky" names.

Quoting ali840:

Ruby was my # 2 choice! I love that name, Pearl is beautiful, too. I love that old classic names are coming back. Especially the jewel and flower names.

Quoting SadieJames:

ali840
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I thought about telling her not to consider formula an option, don't even have it in the house. But, like I said in the email, where do you stop with the advice? Hopefully she'll be responsive and write back and I can slip a few more nuggets of wisdom in there, lol. 

Quoting LilliansMama27:

If she has her heart set on nursing this isn't too pushy. It's just what she needs, information. I know I had my heart set on nursing and I got so much information just so I would feel somewhat prepared. I also made it a point to myself that there was no other option for me. I was going to make it work one way or another! lol. This group of ladies has been priceless for me so I would also recommend coming here with questions as well :)

ali840
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Same thing happened to us. I felt like she was Violet from the moment I felt her, but DH had to wait till the last minute to be sure! Lillian is beautiful. Love it! Such a great adult name, and after all, they are adults most of their lives. But cute for a little girl, too.

Quoting SadieJames:

Lillian was a family name and I just couldn't imagine using another but DH wanted options "in case she doesn't look like a Lillian" lol.  

I do too! I got very tired of the "funky" names.

Quoting ali840:

Quoting SadieJames:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)