Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pedi said my son looks like a starving kid from Africa.

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM
  • 98 Replies

Mobile Photo

This is Archer. He will be four months on the 17th. He's been EBF his whole life give or take two formula bottles and a bottle of sugar water in the hospital. I took him today for his very late two month check up. The pedi told me he looked like a kid from Africa. :(

His weights:
Birth- 7.15
Leaving hospital- 7.12
Four day check up- 7.3 (1/21/13)
Six day check up- 7.7(1/23/13)
One month check up- 8.6 (2/25/13) (roseferin shot given for RSV)
Follow up next day- 8.6 (2/26/13) (another shot given)
Two month check up- 8.7 (5/7/13) (very late appoint)

What can I do? They want me to pump nonstop for the next week and see how much I produce! I've suspected a tongue tie from birth and have been feeding with a nipple shield because he can of latch without it. He's wetting 8+ diapers and he's meet all milestones! Help!
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Your ped is, among other things, disturbingly misguided about what starvation looks like.  Those "starving kids in Africa" have stick arms, stick legs, bloated stomachs, and you can see all their ribs, their spine.  He has gained about a pound from lowest recorded weight, but he is putting out good diapers.  The tongue tie experts should be able to help you more with that aspect, but it sounds like you need to start doctor shopping- ths one knows precious little about breastfeeding and supply.

yikesitsmindy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Bump for you. I am not an expert but he didn't even gain a pound in four months. Something seems wrong. I am not saying it is breast feeding since his diapers are good and he is meeting milestones. Maybe he should be checked out by another doctor. Ps that is a freaking RUDE! thing for a doctor to say.
parentalrights1
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Pumping doesn't show what your supply is. It just shows how well you respond to a pump.

He's a moron. If baby is suckling then he's getting the milk. Only worry if he doesn't put out in his diaper right.

And keep in mind there comes a point where baby may only poop once a week
SadieJames
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM
6 moms liked this

All of this screams of a tongue tie.  Look them up, look at kid and tell us what you see. 

And fire doc.  Immediately.  Find a new one, tomorrow.

ETA: no, pumping will do nothing but frustrate you. Don't do it.  But something isn't right - what do his poops look like? 

ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Ok, so he's four months, and that weight from his 2 month appt is today? So he didn't gain anything in 3 months? Something is going on. Definitely evaluate him for a tongue tie. How are his nursing sessions?
deadlights86
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Wow your 4 month old only weighs 8.7? My son weighed that when he left the hospital.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM
He's not even up 1 pound from his lowest weight. I don't know what, but something seems wrong. Bump for the experts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Pumping for a week will be NO indicator of what you produce!

Can you get to a lactation consultant - your ped. does not sound very informed on the realities of bfing.

The women here will also have great info for you!

IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Those weights are concerning. I can't type much more right now but you need to contact and IBCLC in your area for a full eval.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM
How often are you nursing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN