Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it normal for me to gain weight?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi moms!

I've BFing my baby for a few months now. I was under the impression I was going to lose weight like crazy. Well, I just seem to be gaining weight and I want to eat all the time! It seems like I am the only one I know who has not lost weight!!....Has anyone had the same problem or heard about anyone? Is this normal?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twogirl91
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

You can't just eat whatever you want and expect to lose weight, a lot of women say this. After my first child the weight fell off pretty fast but I was working out and eating right, after my second I wasn't. I was 50lbs over weight, so what I did was work out 3 times a week for 10minutes, and I cut what I normally would eat in half (I ate a lot waaaaay more than I needed) breastfeeding you only need about 2,000 a day. Like instead of eating two burgers I would eat one burger. Instead of snacking on chips or unhealthy food, I kept fresh fruit in the house and veggies, so if I was hungry between meals that's what I snacked on, I've lost 20lbs so far. I got lazy for awhile but I'm starting back, if you are eating too many calories you will gain weight. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I lost all of my weight but am just slowly gaining it all back because I feel so hungry all the time. I just try to make healthy choices when possible.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger, too. If you feel hungry, drink first. Add more protein and good fat to your diet (avocado, coconut oil) to hold you longer.
mamoore83
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

After my daughter was born I craved sweets like crazy and was hungry and thirsty all the time.  I actually lost all my weight with in 6 weeks after her birth because of BF alone, I didn't restrict what I was eating but I just didn't eat every time I thought I was hungry.  But now that she is 10 months and eating lots of solids I have gained it back in the past 4 months as she has been on more solids, so now I have to actually get to the gym and diet.  It was nice while it lasted. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I gain weight everytime I BF lol

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I wasn't gaining, but I wasn't losing either. Weight watchers is a great program for nursing mommas, I've lost 12 lb, slowly but surely.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Not everyone loses weight from breastfeeding. I didn't.
Make healthy choices with foods and exercise. You might not lose it all, but it might help keep you from gaining (unless you gain muscle).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM
I made sure I had a glass of water next to me every time I fed ds. I gained with my first, but I was eating a snack like every time he ate. Not good. With the other, I switched to drinking a glass of water instead of a snack and lost. Good luck!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Oh, quite normal. Some moms gain, some lose, some stay exactly the same.

amccamp
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM
This!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I lost all of my weight but am just slowly gaining it all back because I feel so hungry all the time. I just try to make healthy choices when possible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)