Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me it's not that bad - tongue tie

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 31 Replies
Friday morning we meet with an ENT to most likely get DS tongue tie clipped. Other than having to occasionally relatch we aren't having any real breastfeeding problems. DS has never had a problem transferring milk.

So at first we were going to wait and get it clipped, but we decided to do it now while he's still little. We also don't want him to develop a speech problem and then get his tie clipped.

I've talked to the ENT (who is a good friend both personally and professionally of our pedi) over the phone. I've sent him pics of the tongue tie and he said at first glance he can't believe I'm not having any BFing issues. He said that the tie is "screaming to be cut."

So Friday he will most likely cut it.

The doctor gave me the option of being in the procedure room when he cuts it or not. I want to be there because I want to nurse him immediately afterwards. But I'm worried of seeing it.

So for those whose babies had tongue ties clipped please tell me it isn't that bad....

Edit:

I'm about to have an anxiety attack. Holy crap I'm not normally like this...

What if he can't latch afterwards?

I'm worried that maybe he has been compensating for the tongue tie an maybe wont be able to latch after it is clipped.

I'm just sooo nervous.

We have such a good breast feeding relationship. I just for want to ruin it.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I hope things go well for you. I've heard that it's very quick. Gl
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Thank you.

I'm so nervous.

I'm almost considering not doing it.

But I help with our spit up issues and it could prevent hassle in the long run. I know he won't remember it and it won't be as traumatic if we do it now vs later.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Exactly why I would rather have had my sons clipped too. Unfortunately our pedi thinks it will not be a problem :(

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Thank you.

I'm so nervous.

But I help with our spit up issues and it could prevent hassle in the long run. I know he won't remember it and it won't be as traumatic if we do it now vs later.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

cassybleau
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I would do it now.  My twins couldn't nurse because of theirs.  They didn't have it clipped till age 6 and they had to be put under.  I wish someone had told me they could have had it clipped as a baby.  Their tongue tie is really deep so even having it clipped didn't fix it completely.  

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It isn't bad.  The crying was from holding her down.  She had a PTT and LT clipped and nursed seconds after and was happy : ). The WORST part was running my finger over the cuts for a week so they didnt heal back together.  She hated having my finger in her mouth.

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Do it.  It will prevent a lot of potential problems! Plus as he gets teeth and gets older it may affect his latch.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Thank you.

I'm so nervous.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
That's what the ENT said. Most babies are just mad that someone is messing with them.

Quoting SadieJames:

It isn't bad.  The crying was from holding her down.  She had a PTT and LT clipped and nursed seconds after and was happy : ). The WORST part was running my finger over the cuts for a week so they didnt heal back together.  She hated having my finger in her mouth.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
That what my pedi also said. I've noticed a change in his latch since my supply regulated and I don't have as much of an oversupply. I'm having to relatch him more.

So I'm worried that once he gets teeth there might be a problem which is why we are doing it now.

Ahh I'm just so nervous!!

Quoting SadieJames:

Do it.  It will prevent a lot of potential problems! Plus as he gets teeth and gets older it may affect his latch.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Thank you.

I'm so nervous.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

illinoismommy83
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM

They wouldn't let me back in the room, but it was like, they took my daughter, a min passed, she started crying, they brought her back, and she nursed and was happy. It was like 2-3 min from the moment they took her back till she was done.

It made a huge difference. I am so happy that we had it done. Your baby will be fine.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I have an amazing pedi.

He would have clipped it when he discovered it at 1 month, but I wasn't having any issues and didn't see the need.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Exactly why I would rather have had my sons clipped too. Unfortunately our pedi thinks it will not be a problem :(

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Thank you.

I'm so nervous.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)