Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Taking 6 yr old DD to BFing and Labor class?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 27 Replies
I'm due in 5 weeks and plan to BF DS (I tired with DD but she wouldn't latch on so I gave up.) I was young and wasn't really that informed on the topic so I'm hoping this time will be different so I'm taking the class at the hospital. DD knows that I'll be BFing and has seen one of my friends BFing her son before so she somewhat understands it so I was wondering if I should take her with me tonight for the class?

I also have a labor class tomorrow night I'm going to (even though I've been through it before I'm still going lol) and was thinking if the hospital and doctor allow it I might let DD stay in the room while giving birth. Good idea or no? Should I take her to the class and let her stay in the room while her brother is being born.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I would take her to the class and watch her reaction to any films or pictures shown. That should help her decide whether or not you want her in the delivery room. If she does come for the birth, she should have someone all to herself who can see to her needs, take her out of the room if necessary.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I wouldnt take her to the class I have a feeling it would be boring for her honestly and she would get stir crazy

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I think it's a really bad idea.  She is too young to truly understand what you're going through.  All she will understand is that you're in pain and that will freak her out.  Plus, it's labor.  In a hospital.  Anything can happen.  What if something goes wrong?  What if you're taken for an emergency c-section?  No one is going to have time to stop and explain to her what's happening.  She's better off at home with a sitter and your DH or your SO can bring her to the hospital later.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM
The class? Maybe, but can she sit without being bored and disrupting class?

The birth? No. See if you can arrange a "sleepover" for her with a close friend. It would be too stressful for me to be worried about my one child while trying to labor for another. She will meet her sinking soon enough...
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I took my first to all the classes with my second. And both will be there when I have my third but I think that hospitals typically don't allow that. (I'm staying home). Good luck. As Tabi said, if you are going to bring her to the classes, expect them to bore her, and prep for that. I brought coloring books and crayons for my older.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

i dont see why not!

same issues with dd1 who will be 6 this summer (latching). going to bf (I HOPE!) baby #3. also want to go to the classes, but before I do I'm going to call and ask if it's okay to bring children

BoxxyBabee
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I agree. I saw my mom give birth when I was 18 and seeing and hearing my mom give birth really freaked me out. Then my brother had a cone head so I thought something was wrong with him lol

Quoting jackiewal10:

Personally, I think it's a really bad idea.  She is too young to truly understand what you're going through.  All she will understand is that you're in pain and that will freak her out.  Plus, it's labor.  In a hospital.  Anything can happen.  What if something goes wrong?  What if you're taken for an emergency c-section?  No one is going to have time to stop and explain to her what's happening.  She's better off at home with a sitter and your DH or your SO can bring her to the hospital later.

motherslove82
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM
My (then) 7 year old was in the delivery room when I had my youngest. I would have let my (then) 6 year old and 3 year old be in there, too, but the changed their minds at the last minute. It depends on the child. My oldest would have loved all of that stuff. My middle two, not so much.
mrs.hartman12
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I would take my dd adn she is 4. she is obssessed with babies and pregnancy right now! 

mrs.hartman12
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You know lots of families choose to have their children present at labor and I have yet to hear of their children being scarred for life. Either they are facinated, or bored and go watch tv. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)