Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sippy Cup

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

I want to start introducing a cup to my DD with water just to get her familiar.  I don't pump so there is no milk to put in it.  She is eating 1-2 times a day (solids).  She is almost 9 months.  What cup do you think is best for this?  Straw?  Soft mouth piece?  Hard?  Any suggestions?  

by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Straw cup.  Sippy cups aren't developmentally appropriate, but straws actually encourage oral muscle strength.

trendy2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Any particular brand you like better?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Straw cup.  Sippy cups aren't developmentally appropriate, but straws actually encourage oral muscle strength.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I started with Dr Brown's sippy. It has a soft, flat nozzle, instead of a round soft one. I didn't want to go with something like Nubby because its too much like a bottle. But your gonna get a kick out of watching her try to figure the cup out. It took ds like 2 days, but he finally got it. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM
We tried soft spout but he just didn't understand that hr had to lean back. So now we're working with a straw cup. We're going to try a regular straw though. Not the kind you bite then suck
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

We used the no spill munchkin straw cups for a while but they're hard to clean. Our current cup cabinet is full of kid's meal cups and lids (from Penn Station, because that's our favorite place to go out to eat, lol) and we just use regular plastic straws from the grocery store.  We have a "tile-only" rule for drinks, so they aren't on the carpet and spilling isn't a problem.  We also did open cups from very early on and my kids are fine with those as well.

Quoting trendy2:

Any particular brand you like better?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Mobile Photo

With water only I would try the spoutless cups.

Advent makes some with handles.

I've actually seen a varriation at dollar tree.

These cups actually teach kids how to drink out if a cup and not just suck
ali840
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I agree with PP. That Avent cup from amazon is awesome! I do mostly that cup and open cups. It's normal for them to take a while before they figure it out, just keep trying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)