Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Gassiness/Fussy Newborn need help pleasep

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 8 Replies
Makenzi is 18 days old today! :) I've actually been exclusively pumping because I got bad blisters in the first few days and one burst and bled... I have Hep C for those of you who don't know and she cannot come in contact with my blood... to explain the pumping.

The pumping is going really well and I put her on the non-injured side about once-twice daily but honestly, its so excruciatingly painful (and we have already run the gamut with latch, position, etc etc etc. It is what it is, it hurts like hell no matter what) but I still like to feel that closeness once in a while as long as I can stand the pain.

Anyway, I've cut out all dairy (I did that from day one because we have rampant dairy sensitivity in our family ) and cruciferous veggies about 90%... I don't eat chocolate and I do not drink any caffeine so I'm wondering why she's so gassey.. and it seems to only be in the middle of the night. She's sleeps and eats fine durinh the day but was up from 10pm-3am fussing and I was at my wits end by the time she finally fell out on Dh's chest.

So my question is: how long after one eats an offending food does it show up in milk? Because I'm pumping, I figure if I could time it, and dump those sessions, I could cut down on her gassiness... I did eat a big serving of cauliflower the other day without thinking and I have a feeling that's the culprit.. and if I wanted to have some yogurt or ice cream occasionally could I just dump the next two or three sessions and will it be out of my system then?

Supply is not a problem... I get about 6-7 ounces out both sides every 3-4 hours and she's eating 2-2.5 oz every 3 hours. I've already half filled my freezer with sticks and now I'm wondering if I should have marked what I ate on each bag prior to pumping :/

Is there anything else I could be eating that could be giving her such gas? This has been about 3 nights in a row now.

Thanks for your thoughts.
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like yo uhave a serious oversupply and i bet its the foremik/hindmilk in balance thats causing the gas.

First you need to see someone to get baby checked for tongue tie, it shouldnt hurt so bad...tongue tie would explain it.

Second...after pumping hand express and massage to get more milk thats the fatty stuff..the fattier mik is harder to get out with a pump.

Third make sure you mix the mik you pump by swirling the milk gently.

Fourth-Upright feeds, slow flow nipples and burp after each ounce.

I dont thinkits what you eatting causing gas

trendy2
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD is almost 9mos.  Almost everyone I talked to when she was experiencing lots of excess gas said that what I ate did not affect her thru my milk.  Now I still beg to differ on that.  I cut out all dairy until she was almost 7 months and she didn't seem to have any problems after that when I consumed dairy.  I cut out all caffiene.  She seemed to be bothered when I would eat shrimp.  Not sure why.  I also cut out all spicy foods.  I am a spicy food junky.  She was also a hard burp.  Does your DD burp well after each feeding?  I agree with tabi_cat1023, I do think you have an oversupply.  6-7  ounces is a lot even if you are pumping for feedings vs nursing.  Good luck!

Nolanzo
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Thanks Tabi.

I have had her checked, there is no issue with tongue or lip ties. As I said, we've tried EVERYTHING to lessen the pain and I'm just much more comfortable pumping for now. I have always had ultra sensitive nipples and am the kind of person who does not like them touched or played with... they have always hurt no matter if nursing or otherwise.

I've always had a very large supply (with DS too) but the milk has a nice layer of fat on top after it separates, so I feel like there is plenty of hindmilk. Yes, we swirl to mix it :) I'm using a Preemie nipple because the Level Ones were causing her to gag/cough/choke in the beginning.. they were too fast. The Preemie nips work well, I keep her upright, she's burping and pooping a ton (10-12 poops a day) and seems satiated after each feeding.

Ugh... so with oversupply, would I lessen the pumping sessions per day? I'm engorged after about four or so hours, and again, the pump is very effective and empties me nicely with a good fat layer, so I don't think its too much foremilk. I like being able to stockpile so much but I AM making way more than what she is eating currently. I really was hoping this was a food issue. :( easy fix!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sounds like yo uhave a serious oversupply and i bet its the foremik/hindmilk in balance thats causing the gas.

First you need to see someone to get baby checked for tongue tie, it shouldnt hurt so bad...tongue tie would explain it.

Second...after pumping hand express and massage to get more milk thats the fatty stuff..the fattier mik is harder to get out with a pump.

Third make sure you mix the mik you pump by swirling the milk gently.

Fourth-Upright feeds, slow flow nipples and burp after each ounce.

I dont thinkits what you eatting causing gas

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

An overactive letdown could cause the gassiness.  It certainly did for YDD.  I had to feed her upright until my supply regulated.  Neither of my kids were bothered by what I ate, per se, but my drinking caffeine does make YDD hyper.  People who are allergic to milk proteins are also often allergic to soy and soy is often the go-to substitute for dairy.  Try almond or rice milk and keep in mind that it might take a few weeks for the milk and soy to work their way completely out of your system.

Have you tried a nipple shield?  I'll admit it, they're messy and it's a real bear to wean a baby off one, but my first time using it with ODD, whose tongue tie wasn't diagnosed until she was 2, was such a relief.  Like choirs of angels serenading us in the LC's office.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm. Oversupply causes gassiness when baby is at the breast, but the milk itself shouldn't do it. I'm actually thinking the bottles are causing it. How are you doing the bottle feeds? One ounce, burp?

Night fussies and gas are pretty normal for newborns, though. I'd be expecting this kind of behavior. I don't think it's what you're eating at all. I think it's part of the new-baby shakedown. **grin**

LilliansMama27
by Candy on May. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

The biggest culprit for my dd with gassiness was my OAL and over supply. I know you're mostly bottle feeding her though so I'm not sure if that's the case. I tried cutting out food to see if that was a problem for me, but it never changed anything.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I was thinking.

Quoting gdiamante:

Hmm. Oversupply causes gassiness when baby is at the breast, but the milk itself shouldn't do it. I'm actually thinking the bottles are causing it. How are you doing the bottle feeds? One ounce, burp?

Night fussies and gas are pretty normal for newborns, though. I'd be expecting this kind of behavior. I don't think it's what you're eating at all. I think it's part of the new-baby shakedown. **grin**

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Thanks everybody, as always....

I think we'll just keep plugging along as we have been. She's a really great little baby who rarely fussed so I just thought it strange to be having nights like this suddenly... my knee-jerk reaction is that it must be something I'm doing wrong. Neurotic Nelly, that's me :-P

Thanks again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN