Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh....I'm pregnant!

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I have a 10 1/2 month old....and just found out I am pregnant again. I am still in denial....we were done! Guess God had other plans.

Anyway....I am noticing that my milk has decreased....I am still EBF. How can I increase it?? I'm not ready to stop nursing but I am not getting as much when I pump at work....I usually pump what he eats while I am gone but now I am getting less and less.

TIA

by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
There is one kind of tea.... mother milk plus two I think??? You can maybe try to pump every morning to make up the difference. Even on off days. Good luck and congrats!
sassysilvergirl
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I see that it looks as though I only have one child....nope. I have an 8yr and a almost 4 year old.....ALL BOYS!!!! 

:)

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, the regular Mothers Milk tea is not recommended, you need the one formulated with pregnancy considered.

This is from Dr Jay Gordon's website:

Pregnancy

Sometimes a mom finds herself needing to maintain a supply in order to nurse through a pregnancy. In some cases mom finds that the supply and demand system works out nicely and they have no problems nursing right through pregnancy. In other cases mom finds she needs a little help. There are mild galactagogues that are safe to take in pregnancy. These herbs can also be used in combination of two or three.

Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day

DO NOT take fenugreek, fennel, or blessed thistle while pregnant.

There are a couple of prescription medications that have been used with success in situations of serious supply problems. (Reglan and Domperidone are two of these meds) They should be used with prudence and never considered until other basic measures of rest, water, nutrition and nursing frequency have been examined and remedied if necessary. We owe it to ourselves and our children to take care of our overall health, which is most cases, allows our bodies to provide breastmilk to our children. These medications are available in those situations in which the mother has adequate rest, good nutrition, frequent nursing and still finds that supply is a problem.
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I've been told dom is a no while pregnant, but that it is used in Europe as a morning sickness medication.  Any links to if it's safe during pregnancy?  I'd love to ttc soon, but not ready to quit my dom if it doesn't happen right away 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Yes, the regular Mothers Milk tea is not recommended, you need the one formulated with pregnancy considered.

Pregnancy

Sometimes a mom finds herself needing to maintain a supply in order to nurse through a pregnancy. In some cases mom finds that the supply and demand system works out nicely and they have no problems nursing right through pregnancy. In other cases mom finds she needs a little help. There are mild galactagogues that are safe to take in pregnancy. These herbs can also be used in combination of two or three.

Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day

DO NOT take fenugreek, fennel, or blessed thistle while pregnant.

There are a couple of prescription medications that have been used with success in situations of serious supply problems. (Reglan and Domperidone are two of these meds) They should be used with prudence and never considered until other basic measures of rest, water, nutrition and nursing frequency have been examined and remedied if necessary. We owe it to ourselves and our children to take care of our overall health, which is most cases, allows our bodies to provide breastmilk to our children. These medications are available in those situations in which the mother has adequate rest, good nutrition, frequent nursing and still finds that supply is a problem.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Its hormones. I don't think there is going to be too much you can do to increase your supply. Plus pumps will never do what your baby can, and some women just stop responding to a pump all together, preggo or not. Congrats on the pregnancy though!!!

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Oh no! Its girl time, think pink. ;-)

Quoting sassysilvergirl:

I see that it looks as though I only have one child....nope. I have an 8yr and a almost 4 year old.....ALL BOYS!!!! 

:)

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Call The Infant Risk Center (this is exactly what they do): 

"Each year, more than 4.3 million women give birth in the U.S.  Virtually all of these women will use at least one medication during pregnancy or during breastfeeding.  

The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies.  By educating healthcare professionals and the general public alike, we aim to reduce the number of birth defects as well as create healthy breastfeeding relationships. 

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519."

Quoting PoodleMum:

I've been told dom is a no while pregnant, but that it is used in Europe as a morning sickness medication.  Any links to if it's safe during pregnancy?  I'd love to ttc soon, but not ready to quit my dom if it doesn't happen right away 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)