Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lily's 4 mo appt - concerned about an OT problem

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 28 Replies

Lily had her four month appt today.  She was born at 5 lb 15.4 oz (lowest recorded 5 lb 6 oz) at 36 weeks.  Today she was 14 lb 5 oz! Yay momma milk! The Pedi was very complimentary although she did say I could start solids and when I said I'm not she was like "Okay, we will talk about it at her 6 month appt".  I plan on BLS so it's when she's ready - not when the Pedi says she's ready but whatever. In one ear...out the other.

My concern is that during the eval the Pedi noticed her labia minora is partially fused.  She assured me its normal and will almost certainly release by the time she is two.  Has anyone else had this or heard of it? Upon consulting Dr. Google is seems a myriad of things can cause it... But the most trustworthy sources say its a baby's general lack of estrogen and will resolve.  Estrogen cream can be applied in severe cases but obviously I DO NOT want to put a synthetic hormone on my daughters vulva.

Someone please tell me this has happened to your dd and its turned out okay - I hate feeling like there's something "wrong".  

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Good for you in sticking to bls and not letting them pressure you.

I have only boys, i have no idea. Sorry :(
TrouserMouse
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My niece had it, but she used the cream.  She is 12 and all is good.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I did some reading, and it seems the estrogen cream is only needed if there are problems with the urethra being blocked. You don't report that.

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM

It's fused in the middle - like a figure 8.  Like its open on top and bottom kwim? I'm praying I don't need to use the cream.  I already feel horrible. That would make me break. 

Quoting gdiamante:

I did some reading, and it seems the estrogen cream is only needed if there are problems with the urethra being blocked. You don't report that.

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Thanks : ) the pedi is pretty laid back about feeding so far... She's made general suggestions but mostly just asks what I plan on doing.  We will see what 6 months bring...

thanks anywho.  Is your new baby a boy too? I wonder if this can happen with a boys foreskin fusing to the head? They say retracting the skin can cause adhesions... So I guess it's similar...?

Quoting Precious333:

JEmery
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I have 2 girls that have had that. My oldest didn't need the cream but my youngest closed completely. The creams worked great. I too didn't want to use the creams but I was told to try the cream or the would have to cut it open. The cream is good if it.gets that far. I wouldn't worry and just keep an eye on it. I was told it is very rare for it to close completely!
TTC2Long
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really - foreskin is naturally fused to the head with adhesions. That's the way it's supposed to be. That's why you never retract an intact male's foreskin until it releases as he ages. I only have boys. LOL. I know too much about penis now! ;)

Quoting SadieJames:

Thanks : ) the pedi is pretty laid back about feeding so far... She's made general suggestions but mostly just asks what I plan on doing.  We will see what 6 months bring...

thanks anywho.  Is your new baby a boy too? I wonder if this can happen with a boys foreskin fusing to the head? They say retracting the skin can cause adhesions... So I guess it's similar...?

Quoting Precious333:

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Hmm fascinating lol. So it could still be similar but different kwim? Like the testosterone releases their adhesions and the estrogen release a girls? All I know is I feel like a crappy mom.  I know it's not my fault but the mother in me wants to blame me for being a bad mother. 

Quoting TTC2Long:

Not really - foreskin is naturally fused to the head with adhesions. That's the way it's supposed to be. That's why you never retract an intact male's foreskin until it releases as he ages. I only have boys. LOL. I know too much about penis now! ;)

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Precious333:

TTC2Long
by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Well, adhesions and hormones are involved. they do have that in common. LOL. You are NOT a bad mom, silly. This stuff just happens sometimes. Let this one go - there will be plenty to blame yourself for when she's a teen. ;)

Quoting SadieJames:

Hmm fascinating lol. So it could still be similar but different kwim? Like the testosterone releases their adhesions and the estrogen release a girls? All I know is I feel like a crappy mom.  I know it's not my fault but the mother in me wants to blame me for being a bad mother. 

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Precious333:

amc103
by Alli on May. 10, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I was just going to say this! I have two intact boys also so I cant be any help, OPer, but I would jsut keep an eye on it, do lots of research and take it a day at a time..HUGS!!!

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)