Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ecological BF'ing

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 27 Replies

Has anyone become pregnant WHILE following ecological breastfeeding?   (description below)

• Breastfeeding must be the infantโ€™s only source of nutrition โ€“ no formula, no pumping, and (if the infant is less than six months old) no solids or water at all.
  • The infant must be pacified at the breast, not with pacifiers or bottles or by placing a finger in the mouth.
  • The infant must be breastfed frequently. The standards for LAM are a bare minimum; greater frequency is better. Sucking should include non-nutritive sucking when the infant cues the mother, not just breastfeeding as a means of nutrition. Scheduling of feedings is incompatible with LAM.
  • Mothers must not be separated from their infants. This includes substitutes for mother such as babysitters and even strollers or anything else that comes between mother and physical contact with her child. Babywearing (using cloth carriers) means tactile stimulation between mother and child and increases access to the breast. Any separation from the mother will decrease the efficacy of ecological breast feeding.
  • A mother must not have had a period after 56 days post-partum (bleeding prior to 56 days post-partum can be ignored).

by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM

It's rare but it does happen.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
3 moms liked this

The chances of getting pregnant with those conditions met are around 2%.

I successfully used ecological breastfeeding to avoid pregnancy.

Sarah321
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I'm scared I am in that 2%...totally having preg. symptoms and too scared to take a test :/

SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Test.  It's recommended to test once in awhile anyways while bfing if your cycle hasn't returned.

Quoting Sarah321:

I'm scared I am in that 2%...totally having preg. symptoms and too scared to take a test :/

amberlyp
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Nope not for me. I breast feed but I also pump and my husband loves to baby wear when we go out
Sarah321
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

yup, I wasn't posting to promote it or anything, I was just wanting to see if anyone got pregnant while fitting the above criteria, since it is supposed to be rare :)
that is awesome that your husband baby wears :) 

Quoting amberlyp:

Nope not for me. I breast feed but I also pump and my husband loves to baby wear when we go out

Sarah321
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM

yes I guess I should...It bugs me when people post "am i pregnant" type posts, I always want to say "just take a test already" lol  but now I understand, because I have been putting off getting a test. I will probably fall over if positive., but at least I can relax if it's not.

Quoting SadieJames:

Test.  It's recommended to test once in awhile anyways while bfing if your cycle hasn't returned.

Quoting Sarah321:

SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

: ). When I was TTC I was always scared to test.  I was the "am I pregnant?" Poster in the TTC group... Finally someone was like take a damn test and shut up! It made me lol because I realized I was always saying how I hated the am I pregnant posts : )

Quoting Sarah321:

yes I guess I should...It bugs me when people post "am i pregnant" type posts, I always want to say "just take a test already" lol  but now I understand, because I have been putting off getting a test. I will probably fall over if positive., but at least I can relax if it's not.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Sarah321:

summerbear
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM
It is very very rare to become pregnant under those conditions. I would test to set your mind at ease. Take comfort in knowing it is not "normal" to be pregnant while ecologically breastfeeding. It is normal for cycles to stay away for longer periods of time while breastfeeding in that manner.

Either way, you will know. Plus, as a pp stated, you should randomly test while breastfeeding if your period hasn't returned after a while. I was testing every 3-4 months. But I was "normal" breastfeeding., using pacifiers, letting daddy carry them sometimes, baby led solids....
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I didn't meet all of those requirements, he took a pacifier until 8 months, I pumped and he got bottles and we used a stroller. I didn't get pregnant for a little over a year though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN