Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

have been told to not breastfeed anymore

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 155 Replies
I was recently admitted to ICU for heart failure, pericardial effusion and a blood clot in my lung. My daughter is 3 weeks old and we were doing great at breastfeeding and my supply was amazing. They told me that I can't breastfeed anymore because of the meds they have me on. I'm so devestated and can't stop crying. This is horrible. I never wanted to give my daughter formula.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Ask for a list of your meds. They may be right....they may be wrong. One thing is that they likely didn't look them up in the proper place. Also, what meds will be used after discharge? If our meds are not compatible this may be short term because some meds are short term meds and will be stopped in just a day or a few days.

SullyCat86
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
They have me on lisinprol and coreg but haven't given me either in 24 hours cause my blood pressure is too low so that pisses me off because if they aren't giving it to me why do I need to dry up my supply??
IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Coreg...L3

PROBABLY SAFE. Human studies in breastfeeding women are not available or if available demonstrate only minimal to no adverse effects. There are no data available on the transfer of this drug into human milk. However, due to its high lipid solubility, some may transfer. As with any beta-blocker, some caution is recommended until milk levels are reported.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Lisinprol...L3

PROBABLY SAFE. Lisinopril is a typical long-acting ACE inhibitor used as an antihypertensive. We have no data on lisinopril transfer into milk. Other ACE inhibitors such as enalapril are probably safe to use during breastfeeding and transfer is minimal. Monitor premature infants for renal toxicity. Otherwise, monitor for hypotension and weakness.
MidwestMama55
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM
10 moms liked this
I am so sorry about your health concerns. Feeding your baby formula will be fine. You gave her three weeks of breast milk which is wonderful. You are a wonderful mother regardless of feeding method.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
So what is the long term plan? What meds do they expect for discharge? I would demand a pump and start pumping. You can then protect your supply while you try to decide if you are willing to breastfeeding on these meds.

That being said...I can try to track down meds in the same category that might even be an L2. I can't promise anything but an L3 is still reasonable to breastfeed while taking.

I think you are being led down a bad path here by people who don't know what they are taking about. Have they asked to have an IBCLC involved!
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
If both are L3, you CAN nurse on them. Formula is an L4. Doctors do not receive training in breastfeeding, they don't know enough to say whether a med a safe or not, so they just say no. ((Hugs)) mama, whatever you decide, you've done a great job. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kss12
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Id get a different opinion on the medication. There are always other options as far as medications go.. There have to be safe alternatives. I would fight hard for medication safe for breastfeeding, I wouldn't give up just yet.
EvilAsh
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
3 moms liked this

I think your health right now is a bit more important than not wanting to give formula! Can you maybe try donor milk or ask your docs about it if you're really that against formula?

IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Coreg is an antihypertensive. Hydralazine is an antihypertensive and an L2!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)