Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

have been told to not breastfeed anymore

Posted by   + Show Post
I was recently admitted to ICU for heart failure, pericardial effusion and a blood clot in my lung. My daughter is 3 weeks old and we were doing great at breastfeeding and my supply was amazing. They told me that I can't breastfeed anymore because of the meds they have me on. I'm so devestated and can't stop crying. This is horrible. I never wanted to give my daughter formula.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (131-140):
MidwestMama55
by on May. 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Being a wonderful mother is about so much more than method of feeding.  Yes it's wonderful but it's not magical.  Your baby will take her cues from you.  If you are depressed about it, she will not react positively.  If you just focus on loving her, that's what she needs.  The attitude towards formula by some here is alarming, and not representative of society as a whole.  Everything will be fine.

Quoting mjande4:

Your baby is getting fed.  She will adjust and be just fine. Formula may not be ideal or what you wished to feed her, but there are times that you have to just do what's best for both of you. Let your husband or mom/friend worry about all of that.  You are no good to your baby sick and in the hospital.  Focus on getting well and getting your strength back so that you can take care of your baby.  You clearly have put her needs first, which is so admirable, but in doing so you might be jeopardizing your own health.  Listen to your team of doctors and work on getting well.  Hang in there!

Quoting SullyCat86:

I have been feeding my daughter formula while I'm trying to figure this all out. She hates the bottle and the formula is not agreeing with her tiny tummy. They finally brought me a pump last night and my supply is already dying down some. The drs are making me depressed with all this no breastfeeding talk. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with and seeing my daughter hving tummy upset kills me and when I hold her she roots on my chest. I need somone to talk to.

moroccanmommy
by Robin on May. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
This post has leaked to confessions....assholes..some ann is posting crap
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 13, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Stay away from Confessions if you value your brain cells. **smile**

Quoting moroccanmommy:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Yeah, someone posted about it this morning. Oh well. It is confessions.

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM
The poster there is saying that we are all telling her to not take any meds and that breast feeding should be her top priority not getting better. When someone mentions that if the posters want the true full story to come here and read it, the poster is getting nasty and calling everyone names. The poster is still checking this post and twisting everything around and reposting it over there.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I know. I read some of it.

Quoting shortyali:

The poster there is saying that we are all telling her to not take any meds and that breast feeding should be her top priority not getting better. When someone mentions that if the posters want the true full story to come here and read it, the poster is getting nasty and calling everyone names. The poster is still checking this post and twisting everything around and reposting it over there.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

SullyCat86
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM
13 moms liked this
HUGE UPDATE! Cardiology came in ad spoke wth me and said they are going to switch my meds to what is good for me and safest for breastfeeding and I can start breastfeeding her is 24 to 48 hours. I am so freaking happy I cried and hugged the dr. Also my heart is very slowly on its way to recovery and the fluid is coming down. Today is a great day.
FrancineSmith
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM
OP, I hope you feel better soon :)

And whatever you decide, always remember that BFing or FFing does not define you as a mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM
3 moms liked this
That is a huge update. Doctors don't realize that when you walk through the door as a breastfeeding mom...they have 2 patients and they need to be aware of this. Yes, there are times breastfeeding won't work but most of the time it's just a matter of flexibility and willingness to so a little extra!

Yay!!!! So happy for you!!!!

Keep getting better!!!!

Quoting SullyCat86:

HUGE UPDATE! Cardiology came in ad spoke wth me and said they are going to switch my meds to what is good for me and safest for breastfeeding and I can start breastfeeding her is 24 to 48 hours. I am so freaking happy I cried and hugged the dr. Also my heart is very slowly on its way to recovery and the fluid is coming down. Today is a great day.
SullyCat86
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for not letting me give up. I felt like a failure and I'm so glad I had all of you ladies to educate me and not let me give up. Now to get my supply back up and get camrynn back on the boobie.

Quoting IrishIz:

That is a huge update. Doctors don't realize that when you walk through the door as a breastfeeding mom...they have 2 patients and they need to be aware of this. Yes, there are times breastfeeding won't work but most of the time it's just a matter of flexibility and willingness to so a little extra!

Yay!!!! So happy for you!!!!

Keep getting better!!!!

Quoting SullyCat86:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN