Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have been told to not breastfeed anymore

Posted by   + Show Post
I was recently admitted to ICU for heart failure, pericardial effusion and a blood clot in my lung. My daughter is 3 weeks old and we were doing great at breastfeeding and my supply was amazing. They told me that I can't breastfeed anymore because of the meds they have me on. I'm so devestated and can't stop crying. This is horrible. I never wanted to give my daughter formula.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Replies (151-155):
SleuthMaria
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM

So happy for you! Glad you are slowly getting better & that you will be able to take the meds you need AND safely nurse your baby

Quoting SullyCat86:

HUGE UPDATE! Cardiology came in ad spoke wth me and said they are going to switch my meds to what is good for me and safest for breastfeeding and I can start breastfeeding her is 24 to 48 hours. I am so freaking happy I cried and hugged the dr. Also my heart is very slowly on its way to recovery and the fluid is coming down. Today is a great day.

Mrs.Sells
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you know what the effects of formula use are long term, down the road?

Quoting nickigoingon8:

That is great but I am just saying he is not testing these on infants nor is the mother able to tell when the level is safe when she is feeding on demand at home without this doctors klnowledge. I am not trying to disrespect anyone but there is no proof that there will not be long term effects later down the road!!

Quoting SadieJames:

Irishlz is an IBCLC and referencing a copy of Dr. Hale's "Medications and Mothers Milk", the leading reference on the topic.  Dr. Hale has done extensive testing on the safety of taking medication by administering it and testing the levels in milk at certain intervals.  He also runs the infant risk hotline.  Unfortunately many many many doctors do not reference his studies and go by the manufacturers package warnings, which always say no to nursing.  Prenatal vitamins say do not use while nursing if you be them from a pharmacy.  Lactmed, run by the NIH, is also an excellent reference for actual testing on medications but, again, is not referenced by most doctors.  

Quoting nickigoingon8:

Formula is not a medicine that can build up in her system and kill her.....her own doctor told her not to do it and they must have said it for a reason......have you ever known of a baby to die from having to have formula instead of breastmilk....I have 8 kids and all but my last have only been breastfed for about 2 months my last one is still breastfeeding and all are alive and well and all are smart and thriving so you tell me why you would go against a doctor's orders....he has a medical degree and info about her meds

Mrs.Sells
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I'm part of a FB BFing mamas group where most of the mamas are in VA. Let me know if you want to join

Quoting SullyCat86:

I'm in virginia beach, virginia.

Quoting SadieJames:

We have your back : ). Where are you located? Maybe someone here knows someone local?

Quoting SullyCat86:

Still not doing to good but the fluid is going down. They had me feed my daughter formula already but I'm pumping to keep up my supply. The dr has me terrified of the coreg med I'm on so I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can. I feel kinda alone cause nobody seemed to have my back in the breastfeeding aspect so I've made phone calls to local lll but it sucks that its the weekend. I'm not giving up. Most of you ladies are giving me hope.

Quoting SadieJames:

This is an awesome update! Even if they can't switch the meds you know that the ones you are currently on are considered moderately safe.

how are you doing otherwise?

Quoting SullyCat86:

Irish you have ben a huge help and are giving me hope that I can breastfeed my daughter. I have been talking to all of my nurses today and we are going to set up a second opionon to attempt to switch me to the safest meds available. I've literally gone from crying and giving up but you have given me my backbone back and I'm going to fight this. Thank you and ill keep you posted.

nickigoingon8
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I have been told things but have never experienced them out of my seven kids nor my friends children....anyways I have been done with this conversation for days and I am glad the mom was able to continue to bf :) have a great day!!!

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Do you know what the effects of formula use are long term, down the road?

Quoting nickigoingon8:

That is great but I am just saying he is not testing these on infants nor is the mother able to tell when the level is safe when she is feeding on demand at home without this doctors klnowledge. I am not trying to disrespect anyone but there is no proof that there will not be long term effects later down the road!!

Quoting SadieJames:

Irishlz is an IBCLC and referencing a copy of Dr. Hale's "Medications and Mothers Milk", the leading reference on the topic.  Dr. Hale has done extensive testing on the safety of taking medication by administering it and testing the levels in milk at certain intervals.  He also runs the infant risk hotline.  Unfortunately many many many doctors do not reference his studies and go by the manufacturers package warnings, which always say no to nursing.  Prenatal vitamins say do not use while nursing if you be them from a pharmacy.  Lactmed, run by the NIH, is also an excellent reference for actual testing on medications but, again, is not referenced by most doctors.  

Quoting nickigoingon8:

Formula is not a medicine that can build up in her system and kill her.....her own doctor told her not to do it and they must have said it for a reason......have you ever known of a baby to die from having to have formula instead of breastmilk....I have 8 kids and all but my last have only been breastfed for about 2 months my last one is still breastfeeding and all are alive and well and all are smart and thriving so you tell me why you would go against a doctor's orders....he has a medical degree and info about her meds

daughteroftruth
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

so happy to hear about your update!  awesome!  I wish you and baby the best of luck, heal quickly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)