Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Latching

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm planning on breastfeeding.... I'm nervous about it though because my mom told me about her experience when my sister didn't latch on right... any tips on breastfeeding? i wanna make sure I get it right.embarrassed

by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Relax, take deep breaths and don't expect to get it perfect right away. I'm nursing my 3rd baby and it still took a couple of tries to get it.
Paradys
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
While nursing is the natural way to feed a baby, babies still need to learn to latch correctly.
Just relax, drink water, and remember very few babies get it right the first time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mimikerosene
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

That helped a bit. Thank you!!!

Quoting shortyali:

Relax, take deep breaths and don't expect to get it perfect right away. I'm nursing my 3rd baby and it still took a couple of tries to get it.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Dont' expect to get it right the first time... indeed, it can take weeks to get it right!

If you haven't done so already, pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. Lots of great basic info.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Read and learn. Read everything here and at kellymom.com. Read the book suggested above. ^^^ Come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
Many times a baby will have issues latching due to an artificial nipple (bottle or pacifier) being given too soon. Put your baby on your bare chest immediately and try to latch at every squirm and peep. There may be some pain at first. If it goes away after the initial latch, it is normal and will subside within a few days to a few weeks. If it hurts throughout the feeding, something is wrong with the latch and needs fixing. If the latch "looks" perfect, but there's pain during the feeding, the latch actually isn't perfect. There could be an issue with a lip or tongue tie that may need clipping to fix the latch.
The more you learn, the easier it will be to overcome any issues that may come your way. We will be here to help you along the way.
Congratulations and welcome to the group! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Breastfeeding is NATURAL!  And, you will get it, just relax and if you have any issues or anything you feel uneasy about talk to a LC or even ask here. n

amc103
by Alli on May. 12, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Go to youtube and search deep latch techniques. There is a video there that helped me get the latch ccorrectly and it took me wtching it MANY times and practing a MILLION times. It will be tricky at first, and remember that you'll both be learning together. As for nursing advice ingeneral....here and kellymom are the best places to get accurate advice. I saw 4 different LC's and many doctors and they all gave me a piece of bad advice. Question everything they tell you. Do your research. If something seems off, question it till it feels right. 

Remember that the begining is really hard. Hang tough. It does get better. Im a first time BF'er with my second child and Im almost 10 weeks into the piece and still dealing with an issue, but I battled a lot before it became rewarding and before I got to the point where I felt like things were "good"

Kadawn
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding :)

mimikerosene
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions but I'm afraid I was unsuccessful.. When i had my daughter I didn't even get to hold her... she had inhaled her poop and she had to be taken to the Children's hospital... And 3 days later when I was discharged I immediately went there and I tried to breastfeed but she was already used to bottles and the only way i could breastfeed was with a shield thing.... so ive been pumping and giving her milk in a bottle.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Quoting mimikerosene:

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions but I'm afraid I was unsuccessful.. When i had my daughter I didn't even get to hold her... she had inhaled her poop and she had to be taken to the Children's hospital... And 3 days later when I was discharged I immediately went there and I tried to breastfeed but she was already used to bottles and the only way i could breastfeed was with a shield thing.... so ive been pumping and giving her milk in a bottle.

If you still want to, it is possible to get her back to the breast. Kellymom.com has an article on that subject. Have a look at it and see what you think. There are some moms on here who have done it. If not, there are also moms who have EP'd, and I think there is also an EP group.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN