Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Okay ladies, I need your help...this is a tough one

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 25 Replies

I live in Poland and we have some drugs and medications that are in the US and some different ones. That being said, I had hubby go to the pharmacy today to see if they had Gentian violet because we have thrush. Im using probiotics and GSE right now, but if things dont change in a week, (Ive been using it two days so far) then I wanted to use the GV. Everyone who works in the pharmacies here has to have a masters degree in pharmacuticals. They have a lot of knowldge, but are not doctors. The pharmacist recommended something called Sodium Tincalconite in place of the GV. She said its safe for babies and is used just like GV for the treatment of thrush, but it doesnt stain. She said its NOT the same thing but is just as effective. Thing is, I did some researh online and I CANNOT find anything that said its been used for breastfeeding mothers to treat thrush. ITs sometimes used to treat thrush in horses hooves. Thats the closest thing I coulde find. I saw that its used in pesticides and household cleaners though, and I cant believe it can also be used in a baby's mouth! Have any of you heard of this or can anyone find any information that its also used to treat thrush in breastfeeding mothers? Any information would be helpful. Thanks ladies! I know that GV isnt the greatest thing for babies either, but Im not going to use the sodium tincalconite unless i can find good info on it. 

by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amc103
by Alli on May. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

ps ITS NOT IN THE LACTMED database. I checked.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM

The GV is safe. The staining is the danger.  I would NOT play with another substance. Nope, never heard of it and cannot in any way say "it's OK." 

Something you need to be aware of: Docs and pharmacists tend to be woefully undereducated regarding breastfeeding. I wouldn't ask a phamracist for info on breastfeeding issues because of that.

amc103
by Alli on May. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Yeah, you're so right. I was thinking the same thing. If NOTHING on the internet talks about it with breastfeeding, but only other chemicals, its probably not a good thing. Okay, so now I get to tell hubbs to go BACK and get the originally requested medicine! LOL! 

Quoting gdiamante:

The GV is safe. The staining is the danger.  I would NOT play with another substance. Nope, never heard of it and cannot in any way say "it's OK." 

Something you need to be aware of: Docs and pharmacists tend to be woefully undereducated regarding breastfeeding. I wouldn't ask a phamracist for info on breastfeeding issues because of that.

amc103
by Alli on May. 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

THANK YOU! And happy Mother's Day!

Quoting gdiamante:

thundersky
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

yea i wouldnt use it found a web site that said it was closely related to borax.

amc103
by Alli on May. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Yeah, I saw that one...crazy huh? Im reading the uses going, "WTF????

Quoting thundersky:

yea i wouldnt use it found a web site that said it was closely related to borax.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting thundersky:

Believe it or not, Borax is a great healer.  It was actually recommended by my midwife, and I took it for a vaginal issue.  Once capsule later, and I was cured!  I keep borax on hand for that reason alone!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Try coconut oil! I've been using it for yeast and other fungal issues and it is helping. Vinegar also kills yeast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

You might be interested in the herb Pau d'Arco.  It's said to be a great controller of both oral and vaginal thrush (but I can't speak to it, as this is not the reason I'm taking it).  While I'm not advocating you take it internally--since you're breastfeeding--if you can get your hands on some, you might consider washing your breasts with a tea made from the herb. 

It's very common and inexpensive in Health Food stores over here, and you might be able to find it in Poland as well.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Can we discuss for a moment what makes you think it is thrush?  Just to make sure that treatment is needed?  Stick with the GSE (and maybe some coconut oil) for now...I wouldn't worry about hunting down something that you may not need right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)