Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Were you ever scared?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 37 Replies
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but was anyone here ever scared you wouldn't be good at breast feeding? I'm almost six months pregnant with my first child and I frequently get worried that even though it is what my body is meant to do, that I won't be able to or that I will be so clumsy that my son won't want to. :(
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIMIBRIE
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I was scared at first. Then once we got the hang of it it was pretty easy. My advice is to not give up so easily and if you need help ask for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalloryR
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Who would I ask?

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

Yes. I was scared at first. Then once we got the hang of it it was pretty easy. My advice is to not give up so easily and if you need help ask for it.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I think everyone feels like that to some degree. I have been surrounded by a family of bfing women for my whole life and still I had my worries. I think the biggest thing to remember is that its going to be a little awkward figuring it out at first. Sonetimes it goes perfect and the next time you can't get that baby to latch for anything. Its fruatrating and nerve wracking and frequently ends in tears. Just take a step back and a few minutes toccalm down and try again without getting nervous. Being calm ia sooooo key.
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM
This group is a great start. Finding an internationally board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) would be great too.

Quoting MalloryR:

Who would I ask?

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, heck. The whole parenting experience is a terrifying one! 

First things first. Whatever time you've spent on nursery and layette prep to this date... spend THREE times that amount of time on learning about breastfeeding. The best way to conquer fear is to be knowledgeable. Baby doesn't care whether you decorate his room in Winnie the Pooh or World of Warcraft, but he WILL care about eating (and nothing but eating) for a long long time!

Hie thee to the bookstore for a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. Read it through. Find a La Leche League group in your area and attend some meetings; it's free unless you want to become a member and NOW is the perfect time to go. Find a lactation consultant in your area using this finder page: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337 Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants are the gold standard and they are who you go to for help. You might also find a breastfeeding class in your area.

Check out our resources sticky, top of this group. Lots of info here. And feel free to ask questions. There's no such thing as a stupid question; asking questions is how we learn.

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I was terrified.  Lurk in here - you will learn a ton!

MalloryR
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM
At least it isn't just me, then. My family doesn't BF and I think they may think I'm a little weird for doing it, but I don't feel weird. I just hope it all pans out well because I'm very nervous my baby will be hungry and I won't be able to feed him right away. :/

Quoting GoldenLinds:

I think everyone feels like that to some degree. I have been surrounded by a family of bfing women for my whole life and still I had my worries. I think the biggest thing to remember is that its going to be a little awkward figuring it out at first. Sonetimes it goes perfect and the next time you can't get that baby to latch for anything. Its fruatrating and nerve wracking and frequently ends in tears. Just take a step back and a few minutes toccalm down and try again without getting nervous. Being calm ia sooooo key.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Hands down come here first and ask this group!! Wish I had them when I was new to bfing!

Quoting MalloryR:

Who would I ask?

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I kniw they say to feed immediately but I wasn't ready. It took me a few hours and honestly he was fine with that. Our labor was really rough and we were both just exhausted afterwards. Once he woke up we were both ready and comfortable and it went off without a hitch but if we hadn't wait I'm sure it would have set us up for frustration.

Quoting MalloryR:

At least it isn't just me, then. My family doesn't BF and I think they may think I'm a little weird for doing it, but I don't feel weird. I just hope it all pans out well because I'm very nervous my baby will be hungry and I won't be able to feed him right away. :/

Quoting GoldenLinds:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Some things to expect:

1. You won't get milk right away. Instead, you'll get colostrum which is really important. Baby only needs a tiny bit in the beginning.

2. Count dipes. One change per day of life in the first week. 6-8 changes per day after that.

3. Baby will LOSE weight in week one. That's normal. He's been floating in amniotic fluid which artificially inflates his weight. If you have a c-section, then the extra fluid doesn't get squeezed out in the birth process. If you're given lots of IV fluids, there's extra water weight at birth. Birth weight is great trivia to write down, but look for a loss of 10-12% from that number in the first week. Growth should be measured from LOWEST weight.

Those are for starters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)