Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry I have another question

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 29 Replies
The hospital gave me a prescription for poly vitamin drops and told me since I am breast feeding no formula to give them to dd every day. I'm taking my prenatals still like the LC told me to and my iron supplement that they gave me.

What are the poly vi drops for exactly? If I'm taking my vitamins and eating healthy as instructed by a nutritionist for breastfeeding and the LC why do I need to give her extra vitamins? Shouldn't she be getting those things from the breast milk??
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM

They're junk.  The ONLY thing to really be "concerned" with is if you live in say, Alaska, then *maybe* vitamin d.  If you go outside, even briefly, regularly it's not a problem either.  

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My family has a hereditary need for extra Vitamin D.  We don't do the other vitamins, and certainly NOT Enfamil's.

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this

If you choose to do vit d the recommended brands are Carlsons or Just d as they don't have additives.  The Enfamil ones (d-vi-sol and poly-vi-sol) have a crap ton of additives.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Yep!

Quoting SadieJames:

If you choose to do vit d the recommended brands are Carlsons or Just d as they don't have additives.  The Enfamil ones (d-vi-sol and poly-vi-sol) have a crap ton of additives.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Newfie_Mom
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I definitely don't live in Alaska and we are outside a minimum of three hrs a day. Not in direct sun obviously but outside. And we do sun time/ blanket time in our sunroom every day where we lay in the morning sun coming in through the windows.

I didn't ask why when they have them to me I just did what I was told. Now I'm going hmmm wait why am I giving this?

Quoting SadieJames:

They're junk.  The ONLY thing to really be "concerned" with is if you live in say, Alaska, then *maybe* vitamin d.  If you go outside, even briefly, regularly it's not a problem either.  

Newfie_Mom
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM
My fam history only has a history of iron deficiency and they said her iron levels were fine so I don't think that was the issue

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My family has a hereditary need for extra Vitamin D.  We don't do the other vitamins, and certainly NOT Enfamil's.

Newfie_Mom
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I think we are good with getting vit d from our morning sun / blanket time and just being outdoors (if I'm wrong someone please tell me in not opposed to alternate opinions!!)

Quoting SadieJames:

Newfie_Mom
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM
So basically its a bunch of junk she doesn't need?

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yep!

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

It can't be through a window but the outside time is great : ) google kellymom vitamin d,  there is a great chart on minutes/day needed.  

They prescribe them because every script gets a little kickback - not directly but the formula companies do give free samples etc to basically promote themselves with pedis and make their products "indispensable". And honestly a lot of pedis don't know much about bfing so they truly believe its inadequate nutrition since there aren't X values associated with it : (

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

I think we are good with getting vit d from our morning sun / blanket time and just being outdoors (if I'm wrong someone please tell me in not opposed to alternate opinions!!)

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Once you start solids do iron rich foods with citrus (meat and mandarin orange, spinach and orange/lemon). Don't do meat with any dairy (yogurt etc).  Food is the best source of everything, not supplements : )

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

My fam history only has a history of iron deficiency and they said her iron levels were fine so I don't think that was the issue

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)