Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

In law vent and nip vent

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 53 Replies

Ok so this mothers day weekend we went out to Longhorn steak house. My mil, sil, dh myself and our 2 month old son went out to eat. He woke up and wanted to eat so I pulled my shirt up and started to feed him. Only the older couple sitting next to us stared other than that no one knew I was nursing him. I used the two shirt method and everything. DH and my sil got mad becuae I could've and should've just pumped a bottle and that if I hated to pump so badly then I shoul'dve just given him formula beucase nip is bad and dh doesnt want people staring at us or my boobs ugh. This made me so mad then while we were at my grandmother in laws house dh cousin stated that I need to give him rice cereal in his bottles to thicken everything up beucause he eats to much to often. He weighs 13 lbs and is ebf. He has had a handful of formula bottles in his life for other reasons but for the most part he has had only breastmilk. They have a problem with me not giving him cereal in his bottles. The next person that say I need to Im going to go off on them. They also have a problem with him being a heavy baby already. Sorry I'm just irriatated that they want me to give him cereal and formula both which I'm against unless abouslutly needed. It just made the end of my day suck so now to make myself feel better with a shake. 

by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this

My choices as a mother are NOT up for debate in my family. 

Kudos for continuing to breastfeed under adverse conditions!

Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Bad advice, ignore it. And tell your hubby to be more supportive or quiet, one or the other. Sounds like you're doing great, keep it up just like you are :)

Also, where do you live? (General area... If you don't mind, lol. I'm not trying to creep you just look SO familiar...)

stacy2607
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Grrr, the whole "you should have just pumped" thing makes me so mad..first of all, whos to say how much you would have been able to pump....its just best to feed straight from your breast, baby can go to town until he is done!! Not limited to what he could eat because there is only a certain amount in the bottle..

Good for you Mama for not paying attention to them and just doing what you thought was best for you and your baby and not caring what others thought! !
soulofsunmama
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
F&%k 'em
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Ignore the in laws.  Smack DH.  He should support you.  And he's so so so wrong.

stacy2607
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
As for the cereal in a bottle, your not supposed to put cereal in a bottle.. not supposed to even give babies that young cereal, they are not able to digest grains that young.. keep doing what you are doing and ignore the idiots...there is no such thing as a BF baby eating to much!!!
poeticrose09
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Houston.

Quoting Zazayam:

Bad advice, ignore it. And tell your hubby to be more supportive or quiet, one or the other. Sounds like you're doing great, keep it up just like you are :)

Also, where do you live? (General area... If you don't mind, lol. I'm not trying to creep you just look SO familiar...)

poeticrose09
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM
That's what I told them and I was told I don't know anything since he us my first.

Quoting stacy2607:

As for the cereal in a bottle, your not supposed to put cereal in a bottle.. not supposed to even give babies that young cereal, they are not able to digest grains that young.. keep doing what you are doing and ignore the idiots...there is no such thing as a BF baby eating to much!!!

poeticrose09
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:10 AM
He knows I respond to a pump but it hurts to pump. Its a lot less stress yo feed straight from the tap too. He just doesn't understand just sees others staring. Ugh.

Quoting stacy2607:

Grrr, the whole "you should have just pumped" thing makes me so mad..first of all, whos to say how much you would have been able to pump....its just best to feed straight from your breast, baby can go to town until he is done!! Not limited to what he could eat because there is only a certain amount in the bottle..

Good for you Mama for not paying attention to them and just doing what you thought was best for you and your baby and not caring what others thought! !

stacy2607
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM
He needs to understand that and support you..who cares if people stare..he should be your biggest supporter..

Quoting poeticrose09:

He knows I respond to a pump but it hurts to pump. Its a lot less stress yo feed straight from the tap too. He just doesn't understand just sees others staring. Ugh.

Quoting stacy2607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)