Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm a chew toy apparently

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:09 AM
  • 4 Replies
Ds's gums are starting to hurt him and now he's chewing/gumming me while he nurses and I'm so sore. It is so painful to feed him! And I don't know how to get him to stop gumming me. Has anyone else gone through this that has some advice?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
missyice
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM
My daughter occasionally 'bites' or guns me a you put it, but she doesn't do it continually like you describe. I have seen posted from other people that you treat it the same as biting when they have teeth, you feel a bite, put baby down for 5 minutes, then pick up and feed again. Babies can't bite if they are actively feeding. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
missyice
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:17 AM
Oh i just realised that rather than biting, you may mean what some other mums have mentioned, more just clenching tighter whole feeding because of gum discomfort. Best suggestion for that is treat the teething symptoms before feeding. :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Don't allow it. Take him off and end the feeding when it happens. Try giving him a cold washcloth or something to gnaw on before nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this. Give him teething remedies before nursing but under NO circumstances allow the gumming.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Don't allow it. Take him off and end the feeding when it happens. Try giving him a cold washcloth or something to gnaw on before nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)