Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Night nursing and cleaning teeth...

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 6 Replies
I'm very paranoid about my dds teeth. (She is 12 months) I brush her teeth mid morning and right before bed, after she's nursed. Sometimes she nurses to sleep, so I brush her teeth well before we nurse and then I try to brush her teeth quickly before I lay her down. She still nurses about 2x at night. It's flipping impossible to brush at night while we are both half asleep. Especially with how much she cries every time I brush her teeth... I'm trying to keep us all in a sleepy state to go back to sleep quickly.

Any tips? What do you after night feeds? Anything?

I know they say breast milk doesn't rot the teeth like formula does (since formula has sugars and breast milks antibacterial properties helps) but there is that chance. And that scares me.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LHummel
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I never brushed dd's teeth when she was nursing at night still. Her teeth are fine. I'm not a dentist but I've heard you can over brush teeth. You may want to check into that. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I never worried about night nursing and teeth. SOLIDS cause decay, not breastmilk. Google Dr Brian Palmer; he researched the heck out of this very topic. Brush after solids before bed and nursing won't be an issue. Breastmilk has antibiotic properties that actually kill the bacteria that contribute to decay.
Demerise
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Thank you, I will look him up. :)

Yes, you're right about the solids. That's part of the reason why I started brushing her teeth well before nursing her to sleep at night. Then I'd do it lightly again afterwards.

Do you watch The Doctors? I don't usually, but I happened to catch a segment they had last week on baby bottle mouth and night nursing. I loved that they discussed this topic... Too many parents put babies to bed with bottles and they don't realize the harm they are doing. And Dr. Sears did mention it being different for breast fed babies and that the milk has antibacterial properties... (But it wouldn't hurt to wipe their teeth off). I thought that was great!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I never worried about night nursing and teeth. SOLIDS cause decay, not breastmilk. Google Dr Brian Palmer; he researched the heck out of this very topic. Brush after solids before bed and nursing won't be an issue. Breastmilk has antibiotic properties that actually kill the bacteria that contribute to decay.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I used to watch it but saw too many where that Dr Lisa made mocking and inaccurate statements about breastfeeding and then they gang up on Dr Sears and he backs down.

Quoting Demerise:

Yes, you're right about the solids. That's part of the reason why I started brushing her teeth well before nursing her to sleep at night. Then I'd do it lightly again afterwards.

Do you watch The Doctors? I don't usually, but I happened to catch a segment they had last week on baby bottle mouth and night nursing. I loved that they discussed this topic... Too many parents put babies to bed with bottles and they don't realize the harm they are doing. And Dr. Sears did mention it being different for breast fed babies and that the milk has antibacterial properties... (But it wouldn't hurt to wipe their teeth off). I thought that was great!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Demerise
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Exactly my reason too! Lol. And the show where Ricki Lake was discussing her documentary "the business of being born".

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I used to watch it but saw too many where that Dr Lisa made mocking and inaccurate statements about breastfeeding and then they gang up on Dr Sears and he backs down.

Quoting Demerise:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
As Stacy said, as long as there aren't any food particles in the mouth, the milk actually PROTECTS the teeth! There is no need to worry about brushing/cleaning the teeth during the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)