Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Any EBF moms have this happen?!

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 50 Replies
I have been EBF my dd for 11, almost 12 months now and have yet to get my period. I know this is normal but wanted to know if any women had this experience and got pregnant. DH and I are talking about another baby, but im not sure if I can even get pregnant with out having at least one. Anyone??? EDIT**** Just to clarify, I know that it is normal to not have AF while breastfeading. I'm just trying to see if anyone has had success getting pregnant with the absence of AF. And if so, did you use any methods, or was it a surprise? Thanks for your replies!
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I didn't get my period till ds was 17 months
it's possible, but not very likely to get pregnant without af
Demerise
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally normal to not get your AF yet. My dd is 12 months old and I haven't gotten mine yet. She nurses about 6/7 times a day. I'm not sure about your pregnancy question, so here's a bump!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

All return dates are normal; six weeks, six months, even 16 months or 26 months. Your fertility will return when your body's ready for the next round. 

Acarroll21
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, I was having a convo with MIL yesterday about how AF hasn't return. She told me that I needed to go get checked out by a doctor because that never happened to her and it wasn't normal lol! I just assured her that her "normal" is not every other woman's normal. She dropped it

Quoting Demerise:

Totally normal to not get your AF yet. My dd is 12 months old and I haven't gotten mine yet. She nurses about 6/7 times a day. I'm not sure about your pregnancy question, so here's a bump!

MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I got pregnant after my first DD before I had a period. The way your menstrual cycle works is in 3 phases. Phase one is prep for ovulation, your uterine lining thickens, etc. Phase two is ovulation. Phase 3 is menstruation. You conceive around ovulation so yes, you can get pregnant before your first period. It IS much harder to track though. I would start charting your cervical position and cervical mucus. If you are getting a regular nights sleep of at least around the same 6 hours every night, you can also start charting your basil body temp. :) Good luck!  

musik16
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I agree with PP (MaryJarrett). There are many women who do not see AF but see a positive pregnancy test. This wasn't my thing but I have heard from others who have.

My AF came exactly 4 weeks after birth of DD. I was hoping since I was EBF it wouldn't hit me for awhile, I wasn't so lucky, LOL. I hope you get pregnant and dont have to wait another year! Fingers crossed for you, and Baby dust!

CafeMom Tickers

Eliots_momma
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My lo will be one year this month and I have yet to get a period too :) I count that as a blessing
Acarroll21
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the info! How old was your dd when you got pregnant? Where you trying or did it just happen

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I got pregnant after my first DD before I had a period. The way your menstrual cycle works is in 3 phases. Phase one is prep for ovulation, your uterine lining thickens, etc. Phase two is ovulation. Phase 3 is menstruation. You conceive around ovulation so yes, you can get pregnant before your first period. It IS much harder to track though. I would start charting your cervical position and cervical mucus. If you are getting a regular nights sleep of at least around the same 6 hours every night, you can also start charting your basil body temp. :) Good luck!  

Acarroll21
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Lol I do feel very lucky that AF hasn't returned:) Thank you!

Quoting musik16:

I agree with PP (MaryJarrett). There are many women who do not see AF but see a positive pregnancy test. This wasn't my thing but I have heard from others who have.

My AF came exactly 4 weeks after birth of DD. I was hoping since I was EBF it wouldn't hit me for awhile, I wasn't so lucky, LOL. I hope you get pregnant and dont have to wait another year! Fingers crossed for you, and Baby dust!

kbutton24
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

DD is 10 months today and I haven't gotten mine either. Just a tiny bit of spotting when I got my IUD. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN