Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Control while Breastfeeding.....Please Help?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have been trying to figure out what my options are for birth control while breastfeeding. I have found that there isn't a lot of options. The ones I have found seems to come with some ugly side effects and are less than effective. So, what am I missing; there has to be better birth control than what I have found. This is very frustrating cause that was one of deal breakers for trying to breastfeed this time. If I can't find a safe effective solution then I will most likely formula feed. What methods have you used and what are the side effects?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Estrogen free is the bfing BC.  The mini pill, mirena, para guard, implanon, NFP, barrier methods etc.  I *think* NuvaRing and depo are considered bfing safe too.  I, personally, hate depo though.  I was on NuvaRing prior to dd and like it.

twogirl91
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I don't like taking hormonal birth control, we use condoms, and natural family planning. 

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM

As long as there's no estrogen you're fine. I personally don't like taking hormonal birth control. They are unnatural and lead to other health issues many times. If your DH is willing to keep optimal nutrition from your baby over birth control, he needs to figure out an option that works and not deprive you and your baby of the benefits nursing has for you.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM
NOT NuvaRing!!! It has estrogen!

Quoting SadieJames:

Estrogen free is the bfing BC.  The mini pill, mirena, para guard, implanon, NFP, barrier methods etc.  I *think* NuvaRing and depo are considered bfing safe too.  I, personally, hate depo though.  I was on NuvaRing prior to dd and like it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM
There is also the copper IUD, Paragard.
I just watch my signs of ovulation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I don't really know all of the side effects of any form because I don't use them. The only one that won't have any side effects at all is NFP. It is actually just as (or more) effective than other forms of birth control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Any hormonal birth controls that don't contain estrogen are fine: mini pill, depo shot, implanon, mirena.

Any non-hormonal birth controls are also fine: paraguard, condoms, diaphragm, spermicide.

We used NFP with condoms on fertile days.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I'm using Para Guard because I didn't want to take any chances with any hormones affecting my supply. I like it. The first few months my periods were heavy & painful but they have calmed down a bit & arn't so bad now. If you want to try hormones I would reccomend trying the mini-pill first before Mirena or Depo that way if it does affect your supply you can stop the pills instead of dealing with getting the IUD removed or waiting for Depo to wear off. I have a friend who had a dip in supply while using Mirena.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM
What options have you found that you're considering formula? Only estrogen causes problems for breastfeeding. Depo Provera is the shot you get every 12 weeks. Implanon and Nexplanon are implants that go in your arm that lat three years. Mini pills, or POPs are daily bc pills that don't have estrogen. ParaGard is a copper iud that lasts up to ten years (if I'm not mistaken). Those are all safe to use while breastfeeding. Hormonal iuds (Mirena) have estrogen and are unsafe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I couldn't remember : )

Quoting aehanrahan:

NOT NuvaRing!!! It has estrogen!

Quoting SadieJames:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)