Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not about breastfeeding, but still a problem

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM
  • 37 Replies

Nathan has a normal, run of them mill, wooden crib with a bumper to cover the bars. No blankets or anything. Yesterday, when he woke up I noticed his cry was different. I ran into the room and sure enough, he had his face pressed right against the bumper, and positioned completley horizontally instead of vertically. He is so long and he fits completley snug horizontally and he was trying to get some air by pushing his legs, which in turn, was pushing his face further into the bumper. He wiggles and moves so much in his sleep that he got himself into that position. Had I not come in at that moment, he might have suffocated. After I picked him up, he was really upset and breathing hard. I cried. Well, last night, in the  middle of the night, he started to stir and I jumped out of bed to check on him and he was going in the same direction. If I had been sleeping deeper, and 10 more minutes had gone by, he would have been in the same situation. This isnt a function of the crib being unsafe, its because he is such a mover and for some reason, keeps moving to a horizontal positon instead of staying vertical. His length makes it dangerous. What can I do? We do cosleep, (his crib is not 2 feet from my side of the bed) and bedsharing isnt an option because our bed is unsafe for him in so many ways, AND hubby and I just dont want to bedshare. Has anyone ever had this happen? What can I do to prevent it from happening? Today I set up the baby monitors in our room and the living room so that I can hear him when Im not in there and he's napping. Im also checking on him every 20 minutes. TIA. 

by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
May-mom
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Take the bumper off. The APA even suggests not to use them because of the suffocation hazard.
amc103
by Alli on May. 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM

wow, seriously??? Where the heck have I been? THANK YOU! I always thought the bumper was so they didnt get their arms and legs stuck out. Is that something I should worry about? Maybe I should do some research. God, I feel like an idiot. :-(

Quoting May-mom:

Take the bumper off. The APA even suggests not to use them because of the suffocation hazard.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM
There are recommendations against using bumpers. This is one reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Bumpers aren't safe. They make breathable bumpers if you must use any at all.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 15, 2013 at 3:27 AM
I think they're really just another thing to sell us as decoration. They have been discovered to have dangers.

Quoting amc103:

wow, seriously??? Where the heck have I been? THANK YOU! I always thought the bumper was so they didnt get their arms and legs stuck out. Is that something I should worry about? Maybe I should do some research. God, I feel like an idiot. :-(

Quoting May-mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Im so sorry. That must have been scary. I'm glad he's alright.

I only use bumpers until they start moving in their sleep. Then they come out of the crib. Not only can that happen but once they start to pull up, they climb on them and can fall out if the crib.
amc103
by Alli on May. 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Oh mygosh, I really had no idea. We didnt have a crib with Victor, just a pack n play so I guess Im a newbie to crib safety. :-( I feel so terrible. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

There are recommendations against using bumpers. This is one reason.

amc103
by Alli on May. 15, 2013 at 5:32 AM

I guess not. :-( Im so mad at myself for not checking on them. I just assumed they were a normal, safe part of the crib. :-( Im an idiot. We didnt have a crib with my oldest child, just a pack n play so......grr. Thank you for the information! :-)

Quoting Ptitchou:

Bumpers aren't safe. They make breathable bumpers if you must use any at all.

amc103
by Alli on May. 15, 2013 at 5:33 AM

THank you. Its my own fault though. I cant believe it was my negligence that caused it. I really had no idea about the bumpers. :-( Thank you so much, for letting me know! :-( Bumpers are sooooo BANNED from my house! HAHAHAH! ;-)

Quoting shortyali:

I only use bumpers until they start moving in their sleep. Then they come out of the crib. Not only can that happen but once they start to pull up, they climb on them and can fall out if the crib.

shortyali
by Alicia on May. 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I use mine behind furniture, like the kids dressers, so they don't scuff the walls, lol.

Quoting amc103:

THank you. Its my own fault though. I cant believe it was my negligence that caused it. I really had no idea about the bumpers. :-( Thank you so much, for letting me know! :-( Bumpers are sooooo BANNED from my house! HAHAHAH! ;-)

Quoting shortyali:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)