Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I Need Some More Tips ASAP

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hello Ladies,

Thanks to your encouragement and advice, I was able to breastfeed my son Karter past a year old.  He is 13 months now and has started walking!  He is a little wobbly but he is moving.  :)  I got two teeth pulled on Wednesday and decided to go ahead and wean him.  It has been a few days and he is doing much better as far as whining to nurse.  The only problem is, he won't touch regular milk.  He will take a sip and throw the cup across the room.  I have tried mixing breast milk with it, I have even tried putting a very small amount of Karo Syrup in his cup just so he will drink the milk.  Nothing is working so please give me some tips on what else I can try.  I am worried about him because he needs the nutrients the milk provides. 

Thanks in advance for all your help and hope you all have a great evening.

Keshawnah

P.S.-This pic was taken last week after he enjoyed some ice cream. :)

by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
He honestly doesn't NEED milk. He can meet his calcium needs with other sources of dairy like cheese and yogurt. He can stay hydrated with water. I wouldn't worry a bit about him refusing milk.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't buy cow's milk anymore, but I do buy vanilla milk alternatives, the sugar content is the same as cow's milk but its flavored. At the moment I have rice, almond, and oat milk. They didn't have coconut milk the last time I went to the store.
About weaning, I would have suggested slowing down and dropping feedings slowly and adjusting his diet appropriately to include enough food. Since you skipped that phase, I don't really know what to tell you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Only baby cows NEED cows milk. Just make sure you include yogurt and cheese and other forms of calcium in his diet. He'll be fine.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh and not to be a car seat freak or anything but his chest clip needs to be a tad bit higher. It should be at arm pit level.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, the milk really doesn't provide anything that's not in the solids you give. So you can feel free to skip it. Mine wouldn't touch milk either but he loved water.

misslady80013
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Yeah, that's true.

Quoting stepconfused182:

He honestly doesn't NEED milk. He can meet his calcium needs with other sources of dairy like cheese and yogurt. He can stay hydrated with water. I wouldn't worry a bit about him refusing milk.
misslady80013
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM
He does like Peach yogurt a lot. I was doing that a little for a couple weeks and was having a hard time with bedtime and overnight feedings. I am taking antibiotics and Percocet and didn't want him to get those meds. You know what I mean?

Quoting polkaspots:

I don't buy cow's milk anymore, but I do buy vanilla milk alternatives, the sugar content is the same as cow's milk but its flavored. At the moment I have rice, almond, and oat milk. They didn't have coconut milk the last time I went to the store.

About weaning, I would have suggested slowing down and dropping feedings slowly and adjusting his diet appropriately to include enough food. Since you skipped that phase, I don't really know what to tell you.
misslady80013
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Lol. Your comment made me laugh. As far as his clip, I agree and fixed it before we started moving. We just got back in the car and were waiting for my neice to get out of school.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Only baby cows NEED cows milk. Just make sure you include yogurt and cheese and other forms of calcium in his diet. He'll be fine.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand, I just don't know what to tell you. How long are you going to be on the meds?

Quoting misslady80013:

He does like Peach yogurt a lot. I was doing that a little for a couple weeks and was having a hard time with bedtime and overnight feedings. I am taking antibiotics and Percocet and didn't want him to get those meds. You know what I mean?

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Ok, thanks. That makes me feel less alone on this issue, lol. We will drink water with no problem.

Quoting gdiamante:

Actually, the milk really doesn't provide anything that's not in the solids you give. So you can feel free to skip it. Mine wouldn't touch milk either but he loved water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN