Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Spitting up?

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

So, for the past few weeks, I swear my 11 month old has been spitting up all the time! I swear, every time I feed him he spits up. Sometimes, it's right after...other times, it's like 20 mins after! Mt aaybe it's cause he moves around so much?

He was always spitting up as a newborn. I had to keep a spit-up rag on my shoulder or I would find myself drentched in the stuff...and now, it's starting again. Just fed him a little bit of yogurt after breastfeeding and 10 mins later, BLEEECH! Spitup...on the bed.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:16 AM
He could have some food sensitivities. Did he ever have a break grim the spitting up in the last few months? Did it get worse after he started solids? What does his poop look like?
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

It did seem to get worse after he started solids. For a while, he wasn't spitting up at all! Then we started solids. HIs poops are pretty normal. He has one every 2-4 days. Sometimes they are a bit hard, not constipated hard, but just like really thick. His poop is normal in color. When he spits up, it doesn't seem to bother him. Sometimes, he even smiles a bit about it. So I dunno. Gonna bring it up to his pedi at his next appt. A friend of mine on facebook suggested maybe he has reflux. He spat up ALL the time as a newborn, more than he is now. It got better after about 3 months

Quoting MusherMaggie:

He could have some food sensitivities. Did he ever have a break grim the spitting up in the last few months? Did it get worse after he started solids? What does his poop look like?

CafeMom Tickers
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It could just be the fact that solids are taking longer to digest than breastmilk did.  My oldest DS projectile vomited a couple of times a week until 11 months and spit up daily, probably hundreds of times a day at some points until he was 14 months.  If your baby is a happy spitter it's a laundry problem, not a medical one; if he's in pain, look at food sensitivities but you don't describe anything that would concern me at all.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

It did seem to get worse after he started solids. For a while, he wasn't spitting up at all! Then we started solids. HIs poops are pretty normal. He has one every 2-4 days. Sometimes they are a bit hard, not constipated hard, but just like really thick. His poop is normal in color. When he spits up, it doesn't seem to bother him. Sometimes, he even smiles a bit about it. So I dunno. Gonna bring it up to his pedi at his next appt. A friend of mine on facebook suggested maybe he has reflux. He spat up ALL the time as a newborn, more than he is now. It got better after about 3 months

Quoting MusherMaggie:

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yes, it is a laundry problems. Some days, he goes through 3-5 outfits a day. And he seems to spit up more when he gets solids and then wants to go immediately back on the boob. I try to wait at least a few mins between solids and boob but a lot of the times he just doesn't wanna wait.

Quoting K8wizzo:

It could just be the fact that solids are taking longer to digest than breastmilk did.  My oldest DS projectile vomited a couple of times a week until 11 months and spit up daily, probably hundreds of times a day at some points until he was 14 months.  If your baby is a happy spitter it's a laundry problem, not a medical one; if he's in pain, look at food sensitivities but you don't describe anything that would concern me at all.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

CafeMom Tickers
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Boob right after solids will help because nursing causes peristaltic waves that move food through the digestive tract.  He's a smart baby--listen to him. :)

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Yes, it is a laundry problems. Some days, he goes through 3-5 outfits a day. And he seems to spit up more when he gets solids and then wants to go immediately back on the boob. I try to wait at least a few mins between solids and boob but a lot of the times he just doesn't wanna wait.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN