Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to conceive twins...questions!!

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 20 Replies
Ok so I have a 19 month old and want to start trying again soon...well I don't do we'll with pregnancy and want to have twins next to just deal one more time but have all the kids I want done...so I want to take meds to increase my odds ...I am wondering if my OB will prescribe if I ask?...any thoughts or similar experience before...or am I just crazy?!! I'm prepared for your responses by the way;) thx!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on May. 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM
2 moms liked this
They don't usually prescribe meds for that unless you have confirmed fertility issues. You could end up with 6+ babies instead of 2. I wouldn't take that risk.
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM
2 moms liked this

A twin pregnancy is a lot harder on your body than a singleton pregnancy. I don't see how your planned scenario would be very beneficial. I say you crazy :)

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:26 AM
2 moms liked this

No they won't perscribe the medicine just because. As someone who has twins, you have no idea how hard a twin pregnancy is on your body. I spent from 13-16 weeks on bedres had just a few weeks off of  bedrest and had my frist round preterm labor at 20 weeks. I was on bedrest from 20 weeks until my babies were born at 35 weeks. So I was pregnant 35 weeks and on bedrest 18 weeks, so half my pregnancy. Honestly though I was lucky. My twins were momo twins, in other words they were identical and shared a sac and a placenta. In this type of pregnancy the chances of complications are very high and a large number of these babies die before birth. If don't do well with a singleton, a twin pregnancy is going to be a nightmare. 

I have 2 beautiful 2.5 year old girls and they were worth what I went through. But it was far and away my worst pregnancy. It took quite awhile for me to get back to normal. 

Blue_Spiral
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 3:48 AM

I have never had twins but I agree with the others on this one... Not something I would choose, or something you can count on by taking some pill...

Also, even if it were easier to go through one pregnancy instead of two (pregnancy was really hard on me, as well) the work of having two babies afterward would probably make up for any ease you feel you got lol!

Twins run in my family and I am soooo happy I didn't get 'em!

audmom1218
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM
I agree that a twin pregnancy would be march harder. Waiting at least 2 years before conception of #2 is a good way to help make sure your body is fully recovered and ready for another pregnancy.
muisjes
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with previous posters. Why not try going for another pregnancy as soon as your body is ready and adopt a third baby?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Twins are caused either by the random ovulation defect of releasing an extra egg or by a fertilized egg splitting. There is nothing you can do to naturally make that happen. Like Junebaby18 said, fertility medications can cause the unnatural release of extra eggs, but you have the risk of an even higher number of multiples, and then all the side-effects of being blasted with artificial hormones, from hyper stimulation of ovaries to cancers. For a doctor to prescribe them, the benefits have to outweigh the risks.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on May. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting littlelambe2:

A twin pregnancy is a lot harder on your body than a singleton pregnancy. I don't see how your planned scenario would be very beneficial. I say you crazy :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on May. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Nope, a doc won't help you sorry. One at a time sister, pace yourself.
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I agree with all of the above. I took fertility drugs (we have fertility issues and ttc for over a uear before taking them) when ttc and let me tell you the side effects are no joke!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Twins are caused either by the random ovulation defect of releasing an extra egg or by a fertilized egg splitting. There is nothing you can do to naturally make that happen. Like Junebaby18 said, fertility medications can cause the unnatural release of extra eggs, but you have the risk of an even higher number of multiples, and then all the side-effects of being blasted with artificial hormones, from hyper stimulation of ovaries to cancers. For a doctor to prescribe them, the benefits have to outweigh the risks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)