Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is breastfeeding suppose to hurt this much?

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm new to breastfeeding. While I was in the hospital with m new baby girl I had to have some help with latching on and I was told I was doing great with i by the time we were ready to go home. Whenever I BF my DD, she'll fed for a few minutes and unlatch herself and I'll relatch so shhe can continue feeding. Every time I feed her there's alot of relatching and each time it hurts for a minute or two, the pain stops until she lets go. I thought I was getting good latches each time. Every time I feed her its painful for me and I've already talked to 3 different LC. I want to BF my baby... I need some advice....

by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
steffiecox
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM

BUMP!

bentleyodom
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

You want to make sure your baby takes in your whole nipple and areole not just the tip of the nipple. Make sure your baby's lips are puckered out and not over their gums. In the beginning your nipples will be sore. You can use Lansinoh lanolin cream on your nipples after every feeding. This will help with the soreness and it is safe for baby. I hope this helps. Don't give up....it takes time :) breastfeeding is learning for not only you but for your baby as well

kblpooh
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
What does the pain feel like? Does it hurt between feedings? Itch? Could it be thrush? Does baby have white patches in his mouth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM
If the pain is JUST when you first latch it's normal. If it hurts the whole feed or in between feedings that's a problem. Your nipples aren't used to breastfeeding yet. Most women don't notice any pain after a few weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by Christine on May. 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Has the baby been checked for lip and tongue ties?

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Quoting Analugojana:

Has the baby been checked for lip and tongue ties?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

To a certain degree unlatch relatch is quite normal. IF the pain is only at the initial latch, that's just a matter of time and it WILL stop hurting.

Initial latch pain tells me no thrush or tie. Continued pain beyond initial latch would drive me to look for the other things.

LHummel
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM

If it's only when she first latches and then wears off thats normal. Exactly how it felt for me at first. Your nipples have to get used to nursing. 

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

It could also be engorgement. My sister described it to me as a dam - after the dam starts leaking it's not so painful, but first it needs to start leaking. She suggested I express a little before letting LO latch on. In less than three days of trying that, pain significantly decreased.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)