Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Engorgement got him worried

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 47 Replies
So my dh is worried about my boobs. be said they feel so firm he's scared they are going to explode. Lol I went from a 34aa to a 36c
They hurt all the time. I'm constantly leaking so I pump allot of milk , my breast pads are constantly getting soaked right through. My son isn't eating as much as I would like, but he's only 9 days old. & he sleeps allot. This is my first child.

Is this normal?
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM
4 moms liked this

Noooo pumping! That's making your body think you need more milk.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on May. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal, but you should let baby regulate your supply and decrease your pumping. Some women can have oversupply issues if you pump a lot during this time.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM
It is normal. When your milk came in, you got way more than you need so that baby has enough. Pumping will only cause your body to make more and more. Doing that will cause oversupply and constant engorgement. If you're changing enough diapers, he's getting enough milk. Hand express enough to not hurt anymore when you're engorged.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
da808gypsy
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Seriously?

Quoting SadieJames:

da808gypsy
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Yeah but I leak like crazy so I pump to make it stop...

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

It's normal, but you should let baby regulate your supply and decrease your pumping. Some women can have oversupply issues if you pump a lot during this time.
da808gypsy
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I just pump because it hurts when I get engorged. After Couple hours if baby doesn't eat I get sore so I pump because if I don't I'll wake up in a puddle of milk. My boobs are just so sore it makes me cry and I feel like if I don't the pain won't stop.

Quoting polkaspots:

It is normal. When your milk came in, you got way more than you need so that baby has enough. Pumping will only cause your body to make more and more. Doing that will cause oversupply and constant engorgement. If you're changing enough diapers, he's getting enough milk. Hand express enough to not hurt anymore when you're engorged.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Let yourself spray into a towel or a cup.

Use cool ice packs or warm cloths to reduce swelling.

If you absolutely have to, hand express just enough to relieve engorgement
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yup.  Your body makes the milk that is demanded so by pu ping you're telling it to make more.  Hand express to take the barest edge off if engoregement.  The engoregement tells your body to make less milk since less is demanded.

Quoting da808gypsy:

Seriously?

Quoting SadieJames:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Pumping will not make the leaking stop--it will make it worse. It is in the ranged of normal to leak in the first few weeks. Let your baby regulate your supply. Put him to breast every time he wiggles, roots, gnaws at his hands. Nurse him on one side till he comes off on his own, then offer the other side for as long as he wants. He should be wetting 6-8 diapers in 24 hours, with two quarter-sized oppose thrown in. No pumping!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM

You pump till the barest edge is taken off. Do more and you're merely prolonging the agony.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)