Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Engorgement got him worried

Posted by   + Show Post
So my dh is worried about my boobs. be said they feel so firm he's scared they are going to explode. Lol I went from a 34aa to a 36c
They hurt all the time. I'm constantly leaking so I pump allot of milk , my breast pads are constantly getting soaked right through. My son isn't eating as much as I would like, but he's only 9 days old. & he sleeps allot. This is my first child.

Is this normal?
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Replies (41-47):
da808gypsy
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Nice I should try sleeping in towels instead of wasting my ds's prefolds. Lol

Quoting shortyali:

I sleep on towels, lol.

Also I change my pads every other feeding in the beginning.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Yep and I learned to sleep with burp cloths or receiving blankets under us so I could just change the receiving blanket instead of all the sheets!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Or fold receving blankets long ways and kinda wrap it around you.

One trick I learned was to fold a receiving blanket long ways 2-3 times. Put on ice pack in it then fold it once more. Then place that in my shirt. It really helped.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:when you are at home and over night try folding a wash cloth into fourths and putting that in your bra. It works better than breast pads.

Quoting da808gypsy:Yeah I am and I soak right through them.

Quoting gdiamante:Are you using breast pads? They'll help cut down on the laundry. The good news is this will pass!

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Hand express just enough to relieve discomfort and so baby can latch if having trouble.

Quoting da808gypsy:

Yeah but I leak like crazy so I pump to make it stop...

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

It's normal, but you should let baby regulate your supply and decrease your pumping. Some women can have oversupply issues if you pump a lot during this time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Block feeding is putting only one breast to use for a certain time period. I did 6 hours. Only that one breast, no switching no matter what. The other would get very full at first but eventually it all tamed down and both breasts regulated and be and soft and *learned* that it was unnecessary to fill up like that.

Trust me when I tell you that even little baby A cups get saggy someday. Unless you pay a plastic surgeon, when you hit your 40's gravity is taking a toll. I dont think i look too saggy considering the extraordinary amount of over inflation, and my age. ;-) After weaning, I'm nearly as flat as ever, but I am used to this body, it makes sense to the image of myself in my head. When I see pictures of myself with bigger boobs I think I look 20 pounds heavier. And I'm too short and scrawny to carry big boobs.

Pregnancy and age cause breast sagging, whether you breastfeed or not.

Quoting da808gypsy:

What is block feeding?

& did your boobs get saggy afterwords (one of my greatest fears) I actually like the free boob job I got. I grew up flat chested and finally have side boob! Lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

This happened to me, too. I was an A cup and easily engorged beyond a C. I looked like someone on Howard Stern with a botched boob job. With my third baby I got the advice to block feed and that did the trick in less than a week. With my fourth I was block feeding from the minute my milk came in and I was barely engorged at all.
da808gypsy
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Okay thanks

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

With anything swollen it is always best to alternate heat and ice.

Quoting da808gypsy:

I haven't tried ice but I think the shower may work because I do tend to notice I'm not sore when I take a shower so maybe its the warm water that helps?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Have you tried ice or way packs to relieve pain and swelling?

Like others have said pumping is just setting you up to have a massive oversupply.

Which is really a pain in the butt.

Try doing it in the shower.

Things are going to be messy for a while.

Fold towels or receiving blankets until they are super thick.

Quoting da808gypsy:

It hurts more to squeeze it by hand. I tried letting my breast drip on a towel but its too messy

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Let yourself spray into a towel or a cup.

Use cool ice packs or warm cloths to reduce swelling.

If you absolutely have to, hand express just enough to relieve engorgement

da808gypsy
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I didn't know disposable would be more adsorbent. I'll try it out

Quoting BridgetMc:

Get disposable breast pads. I would soak through the cloth ones in minutes but the Lansinoh ones are good all day.

Quoting da808gypsy:

Mine are reuseable

Quoting LHummel:

Lansinoh is the brand I used they held a lot. 

Quoting da808gypsy:

Yeah I am and I soak right through them.

Quoting gdiamante:

Are you using breast pads? They'll help cut down on the laundry. The good news is this will pass!

da808gypsy
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Cool I want to try block feeding. But I'm scared to have my boobs deflated. Lol I'm tall and always had very small breast. I look skinnier than I am. But I always felt my boobs were too small for my body and finally (although I feel my body is ruined with starch marks) I love my new curves and breast. I fear once I lose my breast I'll just be chubby and flat instead of curvy.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Block feeding is putting only one breast to use for a certain time period. I did 6 hours. Only that one breast, no switching no matter what. The other would get very full at first but eventually it all tamed down and both breasts regulated and be and soft and *learned* that it was unnecessary to fill up like that.

Trust me when I tell you that even little baby A cups get saggy someday. Unless you pay a plastic surgeon, when you hit your 40's gravity is taking a toll. I dont think i look too saggy considering the extraordinary amount of over inflation, and my age. ;-) After weaning, I'm nearly as flat as ever, but I am used to this body, it makes sense to the image of myself in my head. When I see pictures of myself with bigger boobs I think I look 20 pounds heavier. And I'm too short and scrawny to carry big boobs.

Pregnancy and age cause breast sagging, whether you breastfeed or not.

Quoting da808gypsy:

What is block feeding?

& did your boobs get saggy afterwords (one of my greatest fears) I actually like the free boob job I got. I grew up flat chested and finally have side boob! Lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

This happened to me, too. I was an A cup and easily engorged beyond a C. I looked like someone on Howard Stern with a botched boob job. With my third baby I got the advice to block feed and that did the trick in less than a week. With my fourth I was block feeding from the minute my milk came in and I was barely engorged at all.
thundersky
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

in the begining for me i took nice warm showers to relive the presure 

Quoting da808gypsy:

It hurts more to squeeze it by hand. I tried letting my breast drip on a towel but its too messy

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Let yourself spray into a towel or a cup.

Use cool ice packs or warm cloths to reduce swelling.

If you absolutely have to, hand express just enough to relieve engorgement

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)