Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Would it be okay if I did this???? EDIT

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: What should I do?

Options:

Go back to block feeding completely-4 hours per breast

Keep doing what Im doing-switching between breasts for each feeding

Block feed for half the day

Other (please explain in comment section)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

Hi ladies! So as most of you know, Ive been dealing with oversupply and OAL. I did block feeding for 6 weeks and finally tapered it down and for the last week and a half, Ive been feeding Nathan one breast per feeding. I started at 12 hour blocks and eventually, my supply was not enough to meet his demand so I went to 8 hour blocks and that was okay for a while, and then the same thing happened-he became unhappy with the fact that it was harder to get and came out slower, so I went to 4  hour blocks...same thing happened so I just started switching breasts per feeding. That worked for a while...my breasts were always full and the milk came out in a speed that was to his liking. That worked for about 2 weeks. Now Im noticing that he's starting to choke again with letdown. Hes starting to get fussier in the evenings, just like when my OAL was really bad. So it seems that he likes the amount of milk I have but the OAL is a problem again. Also, the evenings were really bad when I was block feeding because milk production slows down then. He only wakes once a night at the most, sometimes he sleeps right through. Sooo, while Im switching him between breasts per feeding and he doesnt wake at night to eat, I wake up somewhat engorged. 

Whew! So I said all that to ask this....could I block feed for HALF a day? What I would like to do is from the time that he wakes in the AM till about 2 pm, switch breasts per feeding. This will make it so that I have a decent amount of milk for the fussy evening periods....then from 2pm till the time he goes to sleep, feed on one breast every TWO feedings, therefore, slowing my milk production for the night so I dont get engorged in the AM. Does that make sense? Is it okay to do this? I think it might be the perfect balance that we need. What do you think?

THANKS LADIES! As usual, you are full of great information and have taught me more about how our bodies work! Its good to know that no matter what I do, my milk will still be slower and there will be less of it in the evening. Also, that I dont have to be so rigid with the block feeding! I will change things up according to what Nathan seems to want. :-) Thanks again~! :-) :-)

by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 20, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I would actually consider block feeding during the day and switching sides at night (so, opposite of what you were thinking of doing).  Evening tends to be a lower production time, and going longer blocks during that time will exacerbate that, while switching sides, even multiple times per feeding if that's what baby is needing now, will help.  

amc103
by Alli on May. 20, 2013 at 4:12 AM

So Im going to question this, just because Im not sure I know enough about BF'ing...lol! But when you block feed, doesnt it take some time to take effect? For example, If I switch sides during the afternoon/evening, wont it make me have a lot of milk in five or more hours? So if I switch breasts in the afternoon/evening, wont it make me have a lot of milk during 2-3am period, when Nathan isnt eating? Or the other way, if I switch breasts during the day before 2pm, wont it increase my milk production in a few hours? (like for the 6pm-9pm time frame?) I was under the impression that what ever way you feed, your supply will regulate to that not instantly, but after some time. I hope Im making sense, lol!!!! What do you think?

what Im hoping to do is prepare my body, during the morning, for the evening(when naturally, milk production is low) so that I have more milk in my breasts at that point when Nathan wants to nurse a lot and my body is slowing the milk production. Is that how it works? 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

I would actually consider block feeding during the day and switching sides at night (so, opposite of what you were thinking of doing).  Evening tends to be a lower production time, and going longer blocks during that time will exacerbate that, while switching sides, even multiple times per feeding if that's what baby is needing now, will help.  

iluvmy2somuch
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

When you finally let down pop the breast out real quick and let down in a towel and then go back to the feeding also you could maybe try a nipple shield so the let down isn't so bad. :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd just use positioning techniques for the OAL if you're both happy with your supply at the moment.  Supply is naturally lowest in the evening so blockfeeding through that wouldn't make for a happy baby--my kids actually preferred to switchfeed in the evening which means taking both breasts several times during each feeding.

Blockfeeding takes several days/weeks to reduce supply so the effect wouldn't be immediate and it wouldn't change your biological pattern to have more milk in the morning and less milk in the evening.  A note: while the volume of milk changes, the calorie content during a feeding is about the same.  This is because in the morning you'll have a larger amount of "foremilk" because milk has been sitting in your breasts through the night which allows the fat to settle out of it and stick in your ducts.  Throughout the day as baby is nursing more often, the milk is fresher and pushes out that fat.  By evening, baby is getting extremely fatty milk.  Protein content also changes throughout the day.

Quoting amc103:

So Im going to question this, just because Im not sure I know enough about BF'ing...lol! But when you block feed, doesnt it take some time to take effect? For example, If I switch sides during the afternoon/evening, wont it make me have a lot of milk in five or more hours? So if I switch breasts in the afternoon/evening, wont it make me have a lot of milk during 2-3am period, when Nathan isnt eating? Or the other way, if I switch breasts during the day before 2pm, wont it increase my milk production in a few hours? (like for the 6pm-9pm time frame?) I was under the impression that what ever way you feed, your supply will regulate to that not instantly, but after some time. I hope Im making sense, lol!!!! What do you think?

what Im hoping to do is prepare my body, during the morning, for the evening(when naturally, milk production is low) so that I have more milk in my breasts at that point when Nathan wants to nurse a lot and my body is slowing the milk production. Is that how it works? 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting amc103:

Hi ladies! So as most of you know, Ive been dealing with oversupply and OAL. I did block feeding for 6 weeks and finally tapered it down and for the last week and a half, Ive been feeding Nathan one breast per feeding.

OK, good. 

I started at 12 hour blocks and eventually, my supply was not enough to meet his demand

How do you gauge that? Was there a drop in dipes? His behavior is unimportant... expect him to still be a fussy pain in the butt. (Best birth comntrol in the world, you know... have a baby like that and you don't WANT another... guess what kind this mom of one had?) But that does pass.

so I went to 8 hour blocks and that was okay for a while, and then the same thing happened-he became unhappy with the fact that it was harder to get and came out slower,

TOUGH LUCK. Your job isn't to make him happy, you know. **smile**

so I went to 4  hour blocks...same thing happened so I just started switching breasts per feeding. That worked for a while...my breasts were always full and the milk came out in a speed that was to his liking. That worked for about 2 weeks. Now Im noticing that he's starting to choke again with letdown.

So back to the longer blocks. You will find that you're forever changing it up. Don't worry about sticking with one plan. Change it as you need to.

Hes starting to get fussier in the evenings, just like when my OAL was really bad.

Evening fussy is de rigeur for the age. Expect it no matter what.

So it seems that he likes the amount of milk I have but the OAL is a problem again. Also, the evenings were really bad when I was block feeding because milk production slows down then. He only wakes once a night at the most, sometimes he sleeps right through. Sooo, while Im switching him between breasts per feeding and he doesnt wake at night to eat, I wake up somewhat engorged. 

Whew! So I said all that to ask this....could I block feed for HALF a day? What I would like to do is from the time that he wakes in the AM till about 2 pm, switch breasts per feeding. This will make it so that I have a decent amount of milk for the fussy evening periods....then from 2pm till the time he goes to sleep, feed on one breast every TWO feedings, therefore, slowing my milk production for the night so I dont get engorged in the AM. Does that make sense? Is it okay to do this? I think it might be the perfect balance that we need. What do you think?

Don't use one plan. Increase and decrease the blocks as you need to in order to handle the engorgement. It will change day to day; it did here. I was forever block feeding but the blocks varied daily. You will have a decent amount of milk no matter what you do. 

He will fuss no matter what you do. So deal with the problem you CAN handle which is the engorgement.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

No matter what you do supply will still be lower and the flow slower in the evening. No matter what. That's how we're made.

He's made to fuss in the evening. Partly to get your body to keep responding (squeaky wheel gets the grease theory) and partly to shut out the world after a day of stimulation (though heaven forbid you try to put him someplace quiet dark and alone to reduce the stimulation... babies are contrary that way).

Quoting amc103:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm. This one is a toughie but I agree with Gina. Change your blocks as needed. Follow baby's lead. What position do you nurse in? side lying or reclined nursing will help him deal with the OAL the best.
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Like the others have mentioned, evening is a slow flow time no matter what, and making your oal stronger won't change that. 

Quoting amc103:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN