Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my baby never gets full... advice?!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 20 Replies
Ihad a little girl 8 weeks ago.shes gaining well, she wets and poops enough... but shes never full. She doesnt gall asleep after a feeding. Theres no schedule she eats very sporatically. I do one side burp other side burp repeat and on the secon d turn forbothbreadts i can tell she isnt getting anymore because she wontstay latched, i stop hearing swallows and when i squeeze the nipple nothing comes out. Im consoling her all day long with a binky but its never enough until i feelmylet down and i feed her again. She was 7.2 atbirth 83 at first appt. We have another onecoming up. Should i supplement formula? Im doi g mybest to bf but this isntcomingnaturallyand i aboitcamttake the stress i wouldnt be heartbroken ifit was just time
tobedone

Another question: what do you do when she sucks for awhile, then roots frantically not staying latched and begins to cry? Ivenursed allday long, she obviously wants moreand isnt getting it. My baby is hungry!
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
What was lowest weight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Normal normal normal normal. No need to supplement. Expect her to be on and off the breast All. Day. Long. She's not supposed to get full. The infant body is like race car made with a one-cup gas tank. How long would one cup last at 165 miles per hour? **grin**

This will end evenutally. You're changing enough dipes and that is what counts.

I'd be worried if she WASN'T doing what she is.

GoodyBrook
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My LO is 4 months old and does the same thing.  Some days, anyway.  Other days he'd content with nursing every 3-4 hours.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could talk and tell us what they need?  If they could, I bet they wouldn't be telling us that they need formula!  :)

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Why console her with a binky? Keep her at the breast as often as you can. 

amc103
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Yes, its like that in the beginning. Its hard and not fun, but it will become more regular. Remember that you're both learning something new. :-) Hang in there and if you have any questions, ask them here...these ladies have helped me so much and my 11 week old has been EBF the whole time. :-)

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
2 moms liked this
This. You can still use the binky but use it sparingly(like when she is done nursing and not yet gone to sleep). If she starts fussing put her to the breast first an foremost- not pacifying her... Because the more she nurses the less fussy she will likely be and the more cues your body will get to produce more if that's what he really needs.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Why console her with a binky? Keep her at the breast as often as you can. 

MommyO2-6631
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no schedule in the early days LOL. My eleven month old is still pretty sporatic some days. Stop trying to "console" him with the pacifier. All of that sucking at the breast will boost your supply and hopefully get you out of the "growth spurt" phase sooner.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 24, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Yep, normal and sounds like a growth spurt. Not all babies nurse to sleep either. I've had five, and only two of them really nursed to sleep (other than at night, they all nursed, while sleeping then).
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Are you allowing her to come off the breast on her own or are you taking her off at a certain time?  Even if she's on one breast for 30 minutes or more, let her stay there and don't burp until she unlatches on her own.  At that point, switch her to the other side.  If she still wants more after that side, put her back on the first, then the second, then the first, then the second, again and again.  Babies don't know how to read clocks, so they don't do schedules--that's completely normal.  If she's fussing, offer the breast, not a binky.

gumeshoe
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Unfortunatly completely normal for a newborn. Especially near growth spurts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)