Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT but need some ideas

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 1 Replies

My son is almost 5 months and for the first month of his life he would cry for about 4 hours every evening.  He was a bit early so I just chalked it up to preemie behavior and he seemed to grow out of it quickly.  He has been fairly easy when it comes to sleep since then, sometimes even going to sleep on his own for naps during the day, but at night he wants to be cuddled all the way to sleep. (which I have NO problem with!)             I'm beginning to wonder what to do at this point now.  For the past week he has gone right sleep, woken up about 30 min later (that's normal, he's always done that to finish eating), but then getting hysterical for about an hour.  I can't calm him down at all.  He won't nurse, his teething tablets do nothing, gripe water does nothing.  He ends up crying himself to sleep eventually, which I hate, but I at least cuddle him the entire time to let him know I'm there.  I feel so bad that I can't soothe him and I'm beginning to wonder if he's in some kind of pain from how he's crying.  I've already been off dairy and gluten for a little while because it seemed to bother him so I'm not sure what the heck it could be!   Tonight he was crying so bad, he made himself puke.  It was so much!   

Should I be concerned or is this possibly just another simple sleep pattern change?  Poor baby, I want him to go to sleep happy.   :(

by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting babymine:

My son is almost 5 months and for the first month of his life he would cry for about 4 hours every evening.  He was a bit early so I just chalked it up to preemie behavior and he seemed to grow out of it quickly.  

Normal *baby* behavior, actually. We call it "the witching hour." Many babies do this. No one seems to know why. One theory is that baby is trying to make the world go away after a long day of stimulation.

He has been fairly easy when it comes to sleep since then, sometimes even going to sleep on his own for naps during the day, but at night he wants to be cuddled all the way to sleep. (which I have NO problem with!)   I'm beginning to wonder what to do at this point now.  For the past week he has gone right sleep, woken up about 30 min later (that's normal, he's always done that to finish eating), but then getting hysterical for about an hour.  I can't calm him down at all.  He won't nurse, his teething tablets do nothing, gripe water does nothing.  He ends up crying himself to sleep eventually, which I hate, but I at least cuddle him the entire time to let him know I'm there.

You're doing exactly the right thing. It may well be teeth. That kind of pain, like fevers, gets worse in the evening. But I'd check in with the doc to see if he has an ear infection. It's another pain that gets much worse in the evening.

I feel so bad that I can't soothe him and I'm beginning to wonder if he's in some kind of pain from how he's crying.  I've already been off dairy and gluten for a little while because it seemed to bother him so I'm not sure what the heck it could be!   Tonight he was crying so bad, he made himself puke.  It was so much!   

Should I be concerned or is this possibly just another simple sleep pattern change?  Poor baby, I want him to go to sleep happy.   :(

Take him to the doc. This doesn't sound like run of the mill waking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)