Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another update on my starving African child post

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM
  • 14 Replies
The old pedi office called social services.

Yes. You actually read that.

They.called.social.services.

Apparently I'm not feeding him nor am I seeking proper medical treatment, >.<

The new pedi, who is WONDERFUL and thorough, has put him on a special formula for preemies to help him gain weight by adding calories. She agrees that seeing the LC for the PTT is the best way- so we have an appt Tuesday. Archer gained 4 ounces, per the scale in her office and he has a follow up tomorrow at 2 pm CST.

As for social services, I was polite. I showed her the formula, and the appointment cards. Smh. Biggest waste of county resources ever.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Do I recall that the old ped was really really unhelpful and possibly harmful? A call to the medical board is in order.

Ninjascreenname
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh. I'm calling them tomorrow. It was straight out retaliation about me changing offices

Quoting gdiamante:

Do I recall that the old ped was really really unhelpful and possibly harmful? A call to the medical board is in order.

amc103
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:46 AM

This is so scarry! More and more Im hearing stories of people who got Social services called on them because they went against a doctor's advice for the medical care of their children. THEIR CHILDREN! While neglect is something to call them about, changing doctor's or getting a second opinion is NOT! My blood is boiling right now. This makes me so nervous. We're planning on moving back to the US in a year, but when I hear about stuff like this, it makes me leary to do so! I am SO SO sorry that you had to go through that. I am glad that you have a better doctor now. 

Ninjascreenname
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM
I always thought there's more to stories like this, but there's not. I seriously left the old office for one a half mile away and it's a damn witch hunt now. :( it's because the other office is anti breast feeding

Quoting amc103:

This is so scarry! More and more Im hearing stories of people who got Social services called on them because they went against a doctor's advice for the medical care of their children. THEIR CHILDREN! While neglect is something to call them about, changing doctor's or getting a second opinion is NOT! My blood is boiling right now. This makes me so nervous. We're planning on moving back to the US in a year, but when I hear about stuff like this, it makes me leary to do so! I am SO SO sorry that you had to go through that. I am glad that you have a better doctor now. 

MommyO2-6631
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Sadly to say this happened to another woman who used to be in this group too. Her daughter was barely "under weight". Everyone in here told her just don't go back to your old pedi and go to a different one. Which she did. And the old pedi called social services right after she cancelled her appointment. Unfortunately they did not just go away like they did for you. They told her they would take her away if she did not start bottle feeding because they wanted to see weight gain. Now three months later she is completely on formula. I always cringe at the advice "just don't go back to that doctor". It's never that easy.
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on May. 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Wow I am so sorry that you are going thru this.

I work or a company that has a company Dr office right in the building.  Almost all of us use it.  We complain about the pediatrician because her bed side manners are sometimes lacking.  But she is very knowledgeable and she supports BF.  Posts like this make me realize that I have nothing to complain about.  Good luck! 

Ms.Pteranodon
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I am just floored that pedis get so bent out of shape and actually call CPS when they loose a patient.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:Sadly to say this happened to another woman who used to be in this group too. Her daughter was barely "under weight". Everyone in here told her just don't go back to your old pedi and go to a different one. Which she did. And the old pedi called social services right after she cancelled her appointment. Unfortunately they did not just go away like they did for you. They told her they would take her away if she did not start bottle feeding because they wanted to see weight gain. Now three months later she is completely on formula. I always cringe at the advice "just don't go back to that doctor". It's never that easy.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM
And they know you changed offices? Thy don't just think you stopped taking your baby to the doctor?

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Oh. I'm calling them tomorrow. It was straight out retaliation about me changing offices

Quoting gdiamante:

gumeshoe
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

They know you switched because the other office had to request the medical records.

Very very petty.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

The thing is, your old ped likely only called CPS to cover THEIR butt. They were afraid you were going to another doctor to blame them for all your issues (which sounds to me like it was their fault anyway). But this was just something to safeguard them. When a patient refuses to do what you have instructed them to do, that's well within their right. But as a medical practitioner, you must protect yourself and report it to the proper authorities. This is very very common and you shouldn't take it personally. I'm so glad you found a pediatrician that's actually going to help you. Please keep us updated!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)