Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How safe is it REALLY?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

Okay, so Ive read on kellymom about tylenol with codiene being an L3. I can get it over the counter here, and have used it a few times since Ive been BF'ing Nathan. I always feel very scared to use it but sometimes its the only thing that helps. Im having issues with a tooth, (have been ever since I got pregnant with Nathan last year) and am going to a different dentist on Monday. (I went to one at 6 weeks pregnant who said its just my hormones causing the pain....) If anything needs to be fixed, which I KNOW it will, than I will be taking that. How safe is it really? I read about ultra-rapid metabolizers of codiene and it makes mer nervous, but we dont get things like vicodin here....even during my c section, I got morphine for 24 hours and then it was non narcotic pain relief. Its just not prescribed. Any thoughts? Have any of you taken something similar?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Bump I think it is safe, but are you pregnant and nursing or nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Formula is an L4.  So I would consider an L3 safe : ) 

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I'm not really sure.  I don't take anything stronger than ibuprofen for pain, and I very rarely take that.

amc103
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Just nursing. 

Quoting celestegood:

amc103
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I just worry I would be an ultra-rapid metabolizer of codiene! It makes me nervous. 

Quoting SadieJames:

Formula is an L4.  So I would consider an L3 safe : ) 

amc103
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Oh man! You're good! I guess my pain tolerence isnt great. :-/ My tooth is killing me! :-( I cant wait to get a second opinion. Im just nervous if she has to replace my filling or do anything that will cause pain. :-(

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I'm not really sure.  I don't take anything stronger than ibuprofen for pain, and I very rarely take that.

Dreamly
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Hugs tooth and mouth pain is the worst! Hope you get some relief soon

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
It seems fine. I took more potent pain medication after my cesareans and nursed them all.

Quoting amc103:

Just nursing. 

Quoting celestegood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Its fine just watch for drowsiness.  Its an issue with a newborn because of how it metabolizes sometimes but its fine 

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I just dislike most pain meds. They make me high, and don't really help with the pain.

I got a root canal when I was nursing #4 and before I got it done I was in so much pain I lived with an ice pack on my cheek. :(

I hope they can get it all fixed up for you!

Quoting amc103:

Oh man! You're good! I guess my pain tolerence isnt great. :-/ My tooth is killing me! :-( I cant wait to get a second opinion. Im just nervous if she has to replace my filling or do anything that will cause pain. :-(

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)