Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Holy mother of pain...anyone else been through this?

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my poor sweet baby somehow contracted oral herpes - the virus that causes cold sores. He had terrible sores all inside his mouth, tongue, lips, and gums and was so extremely sick for over a week. He is 14 months old. He would not eat at all for days so thankfully he is still nursing and he would nurse, so he was able to get some nourishment that way. But the downside, and I never even knew this horrific thing was possible - I got an outbreak of it on my nipple. Next to child birth, this is the single most painful thing I have ever been through. I have big open sores right on my nipple that hurt like hell. Burning pain, shooting pain, electric pain, every kind of pain all at once. My OB called in some cream for me but it has been 7 days and it is only slightly better. The worst part is I still have to let him nurse on that side, for one because he needs the milk, and for two because I'm sure engorgement on top of the current pain would be even worse. You know you love someone when you let their mouth latch on to your nipple when it feels like a pirrana is killing you slowly. I didn't even know such a thing was possible. The doctor says its rare but it happens, obviously. I don't know where my poor baby got this from, the doctor says most likely a family member with a cold sore but I can't think of anyone who has been around him with one. If I knew who it was, I could punch them in the face right now for not being more careful around an innocent baby. The worst part is we could both have to deal with this for the rest of our lives now and possibly have recurrent outbreaks. I just can't believe this has happened to us. My family has been sick with every thing possible this year and now this. Also, we don't plan on any more children at this point, but if we were to have more, breastfeeding a newborn with this on my breast would be extremely dangerous since it can be fatal for young infants. I would have to be extremely careful because the virus can start shedding before you even have any signs of an outbreak. Thanks for listening and has anyone else been through this before?

by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I would punch that person in the face for you if I could. I don't think you deserve to go to prison with herpes on your boob:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Thanks. Wish I knew who it was and if I do figure it out, I will for sure be giving them a piece of my mind. I'm sure no one would have done it on purpose but people need to know how dangerous this is for babies so they keep their face away from them!
GoodyBrook
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I've heard that some herbal remedies will help take care of Herpes Simplex, if you're interested.

Look into Calendula, Hyssop, Juniper Berries...  You could brew them and then wash your breast with the herbal "tea."

JamieLyn822
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Definitely worth checking into, thank you. Are they supposed to shorten the outbreak, or do what exactly?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Did they give the name? We had a virus similar to that when my kids were little as well.....i ended up getting it in my mouth though, not nipple :( I remember how painful and frustrating it was for everyone. So sorry you guys are all dealing with it :(
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Btw....it is very contageous.....as you know.....it could have been from anyone.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Oh and....when we had it we used antiviral medication.
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Is it herpangina?(sp). I had that as an adult and its very very painful. An easily transmitted to others hands and even feet. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. :( I had to actually take valtrex although it is not the real herpes that's an std
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I hope you both feel better soon:)

Quoting JamieLyn822:

Thanks. Wish I knew who it was and if I do figure it out, I will for sure be giving them a piece of my mind. I'm sure no one would have done it on purpose but people need to know how dangerous this is for babies so they keep their face away from them!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Its oral herpes - HSV-1. Genital herpes is different, its HSV-2. Its what causes cold sores on the mouth and lips. If you get cold sores then you have HSV-1, period. 75 percent of adults have it. In adults its no big deal but its very harmful to babies. What I didn't know is that you can get it on your nipple, either from a nursing baby or mouth to nipple contact with someone who has an active cold sore. We are both being treated with antivirals but they only help minimally. The outbreak has to run its course. And once you have it, you always have it and can get outbreaks often, sometimes, or hardly ever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)