Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

hello. im sharing my story with you today

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hi
My name is Jessica. I am born and raised in canada. I am 23. And pregnant with my second child (third pregnancy). With my first (ds) I was induced two months early due to having HELLPS syndrome. He was out wisked away to a warming table (yes I did ask for him to be on my chest right afterm but they told me they would try. But it was highly unlikely it would happen since he was having issues breathing and with his heart.) They did tests on him. Got him crying. Cleaned up and put in a incubater right away. I got to see him from afar for only a few seconds in the incubater. They they wheeled him to the nicu. I wasnt able to even go see him until a few hrs later. After they feed me. (They had me on a liquid diet from the time I was admitted until I gave birth *2days*) and after they made ne clean up. Then they wanted me to rest but I wanted to see my baby. SO wheeled me down and I was able to see him in an open table incubater you a tube down his throught and through his nose. With wires coming every which way. I wasnt able to hold him. But we could touch him gently and talk to him. A few moments later the nurses in nicu told me to go back upstairs. (Still in l&d) I only got to see him for a few minutes... when i got upstairs. They moved me to another older part of the maternity ward. Because postpartum was full. I was given panfilts about bf. I asked when can I start that or when can I pump. They just kept telling me "wait until you get to postpartum. They will tell you everything there" surpirse! I never made it to pp my whole week stay (2 days before delivery. 5 with them watching me closely) i kept asking where the pumps were (never felt thw "need" never got engorged. Like every one said i would.) Finally 2/5days i was told where the pumps in thw nicu were!. (Still wasnt able to put ds on the breast. They were still tube feeding) i have the lactation consultant came and show me how to use it. I thought i was Doing it right. I guess not. I never felt a "let down" and I tried to be as relaxed as possable. Most I would get out of both boobs at one time bit his would happen only once a day (I was pumping every 2-3 hr) was I would get 10ml total. From both breast. The rest of the time was less or just splatters. (I was a hospital grade medella*sp* pump) the nurse and Lactation consultant was baffled. All the other girls were able to bring back 3-4 jars (urine sample jar size) I just brought back 10mls at most. I was also on all this medication for bp. I had to have a blood transfution. So finally at 2weeks old he was strong enough for them to let me put him on the breast. (Buy this time they started him on bottles and tried him to take a passy... didnt even talk to me about it) so I tried him on the breast. He had no interest. They claimed it was because of my nipples. So they got me to buy nipple shields. Didnt help on bit. So they basically gave up on me. Only let me breastfeed for a few minutes before they told me to switch to feed him with a bottle (ff) to make sure he eats enough... didnt give me any other options. I still tried when I got home with him. but still he wouldnt take to the breast.I would get him latched and he would un latch because nothing was coming out. I would pump inbetween feeding. Nothing but splatters... so finally I gave in and we ff. I felt so bad. After the fact I research to find out that we have no breast milk donor banks anywhere in my provience. I read somewhere that it was illegal to sell or donate human by products where i live.... but they only thing is to hopr a trusted friend has over abunance. Most of the time they ff to. Or trust a stranger on facebook. I hate tea but if I could have found some where i live I would have tried it. (I dont online shop ) I brought up meds but nybthen doctor refused to give them to me (this is just before he came out of the hospital at 3weeks old) I found a new doctor but by then I was defeated....
He is now 17months old and thriving.
I am pregnant with number two. (8wks) and really want to bf. But im afriad it will all happen again. I almost died last time... so its pretty scary....but dying isnt the most scary part for me. Not being able to bf is.....

Sorry this is so long. Sorry for any mistakes I am on my phone. While trying to get ds to have breakfast...

Any questions or advice/tips please ask/share!
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello!  The nurses seem to be your problem with your ds. I'll come back and elaborate when I have more time if no one else does, but I am in Canada too!

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Almost the same thing happened to me the first-time with dd. She was a month early, they took her to the nicu, and gave her a bottle & that was it. I was young and inexperienced,so I gave in. Ds was 5 weeks early and they tried the same BS but I don't get epidurals so as soon as they stitched me up I asked for a wheelchair but they refused to take me, so I walked down to the nicu & made it there just as she was starting to give him the bottle, after I specifically told them NO formula! So after that I refused to leave ds in there byhimself. I sat there for 6 hours, lol. Theywere so sick of me they returned him to my room. You are just going to have to stay on top of things. Its your baby, you make the choices.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Hugs mama! I agree, it was the doctors and nurse's lack os support.
I think part of tge issue was not letting you pump right away. Also, they gave up on you right away also.

I would seek a breastfeeding class and support group while you are pregnant, preferably a breastfeeding class taught by an ibclc. Also www.llli.org has info on la leche league meetings you can attend monthy for free, those are very helpful! Third, get help from a lactation consultant asap right after birth. I never trusted doctors or nurses to help me with breastfeeding, my nurse tries to help me.with my first and she was very unsuccessful, but as soon as the LC came i had success. Hiring a post partum doula will also be helpful.

If baby comes on his/her own and you have a natural birth and put baby on your breast right away, that is the best start. If that is not possible, it doesnt mean you cant breastfeed,.just that you may have a rocky start, but with support you can do it! If at all possible keep bottles and pacifiers away from baby.
pregnantmama105
by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
He was really sick. If he wasnt in the nicu he could have died.

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Almost the same thing happened to me the first-time with dd. She was a month early, they took her to the nicu, and gave her a bottle & that was it. I was young and inexperienced,so I gave in. Ds was 5 weeks early and they tried the same BS but I don't get epidurals so as soon as they stitched me up I asked for a wheelchair but they refused to take me, so I walked down to the nicu & made it there just as she was starting to give him the bottle, after I specifically told them NO formula! So after that I refused to leave ds in there byhimself. I sat there for 6 hours, lol. Theywere so sick of me they returned him to my room. You are just going to have to stay on top of things. Its your baby, you make the choices.

GoodyBrook
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

This is a bit OT to your original post, but I notice you had HELLP with your first.  How are you doing now?  My Naturopathic Doctor has had luck (with mamas who've had prior HELLP and Pre-Eclamps) in bringing up their albumin levels to help them avoid their complications in subsequent pregnancies.  I had IV injections the last few weeks of pregnancy that really kept my albumin levels in the normal range and kept me from getting diagnosed as Pre-E a second time around...  (I had gestational hypertension, but NOT the pre-e bit...

pregnantmama105
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I have some blurred vision with this one. but thats about it...  i was told HELLPS only happens with the first pregnancy... otherwise as far as I know  I am fine... I have my first ob appt on tuesday.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

This is a bit OT to your original post, but I notice you had HELLP with your first.  How are you doing now?  My Naturopathic Doctor has had luck (with mamas who've had prior HELLP and Pre-Eclamps) in bringing up their albumin levels to help them avoid their complications in subsequent pregnancies.  I had IV injections the last few weeks of pregnancy that really kept my albumin levels in the normal range and kept me from getting diagnosed as Pre-E a second time around...  (I had gestational hypertension, but NOT the pre-e bit...

BabyFruit Ticker

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting pregnantmama105:

Hi
My name is Jessica. I am born and raised in canada. I am 23. And pregnant with my second child (third pregnancy).
Welcome, Jessica!
With my first (ds) I was induced two months early due to having HELLPS syndrome. He was out wisked away to a warming table (yes I did ask for him to be on my chest right afterm but they told me they would try. But it was highly unlikely it would happen since he was having issues breathing and with his heart.) They did tests on him. Got him crying. Cleaned up and put in a incubater right away. I got to see him from afar for only a few seconds in the incubater. They they wheeled him to the nicu. I wasnt able to even go see him until a few hrs later.
And any breastfeeding problems you might have had can be directly tied to that as the start. I need to read more but if there's a chance of going through the same again, talk with the doctor about what can be done BETTER this time.
After they feed me. (They had me on a liquid diet from the time I was admitted until I gave birth *2days*) and after they made ne clean up. Then they wanted me to rest but I wanted to see my baby. SO wheeled me down and I was able to see him in an open table incubater you a tube down his throught and through his nose. With wires coming every which way. I wasnt able to hold him. But we could touch him gently and talk to him. A few moments later the nurses in nicu told me to go back upstairs. (Still in l&d) I only got to see him for a few minutes... when i got upstairs. They moved me to another older part of the maternity ward. Because postpartum was full. I was given panfilts about bf. I asked when can I start that or when can I pump. They just kept telling me "wait until you get to postpartum. They will tell you everything there" surpirse! I never made it to pp my whole week stay (2 days before delivery. 5 with them watching me closely)
OK, the lesson there: When you deliver, be so well educated that you can correct the nursing staff on breastfeeding issues. It doesn't take much to get there, because they get little to NO training on this! Get a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. Do that and you will know more than most of the nursing staff. Also read a lot here, and get to know kellymom.com.
And advise any friends on this: The most important thing they can do during pregnancy is get educated about feeding their babies. The infant doesn't care wihether the nursery is decorated in Winnie the Pooh or World of Warcraft. He doesn't care what stroller you have. He doesn't care if you're dressing him only in purple-pola-dotted onesies.  He cares about EATING. So concentrate on the feeding info; spend three times as much time learning about that as you do on nursery and layette. **smile**
i kept asking where the pumps were (never felt thw "need" never got engorged. Like every one said i would.) Finally 2/5days i was told where the pumps in thw nicu were!. (Still wasnt able to put ds on the breast. They were still tube feeding) i have the lactation consultant came and show me how to use it. I thought i was Doing it right. I guess not. I never felt a "let down" and I tried to be as relaxed as possable. Most I would get out of both boobs at one time bit his would happen only once a day (I was pumping every 2-3 hr) was I would get 10ml total. From both breast.
That's EXCELLENT actually, or never getting baby on the breast. Half an ounce to two ounces is normal pump output. You were slightly below the half ounce mark but I'd expect that.
The rest of the time was less or just splatters. (I was a hospital grade medella*sp* pump) the nurse and Lactation consultant was baffled. All the other girls were able to bring back 3-4 jars (urine sample jar size) I just brought back 10mls at most.
Never mind the other girls. Seriously. Every woman pumps differently and they actually had a worse problem; oversupply. It's too much of a good thing and a harder problem to control.
I was also on all this medication for bp. I had to have a blood transfution. So finally at 2weeks old he was strong enough for them to let me put him on the breast. (Buy this time they started him on bottles and tried him to take a passy... didnt even talk to me about it) so I tried him on the breast. He had no interest.
Of course not. They bascially ruined it for you.
They claimed it was because of my nipples. So they got me to buy nipple shields. Didnt help on bit.
Of course not. That's like putting a band-aid on an amputated limb!
So they basically gave up on me. Only let me breastfeed for a few minutes before they told me to switch to feed him with a bottle (ff) to make sure he eats enough... didnt give me any other options. I still tried when I got home with him. but still he wouldnt take to the breast.I would get him latched and he would un latch because nothing was coming out. I would pump inbetween feeding. Nothing but splatters... so finally I gave in and we ff. I felt so bad.
You SHOULD feel ANGRY. They sabotaged you at EVERY turn.
After the fact I research to find out that we have no breast milk donor banks anywhere in my provience. I read somewhere that it was illegal to sell or donate human by products where i live.... but they only thing is to hopr a trusted friend has over abunance. Most of the time they ff to. Or trust a stranger on facebook. I hate tea but if I could have found some where i live I would have tried it. (I dont online shop ) I brought up meds but nybthen doctor refused to give them to me (this is just before he came out of the hospital at 3weeks old) I found a new doctor but by then I was defeated....
I am pregnant with number two. (8wks) and really want to bf. But im afriad it will all happen again. I almost died last time... so its pretty scary....but dying isnt the most scary part for me. Not being able to bf is.....

Sorry this is so long. Sorry for any mistakes I am on my phone. While trying to get ds to have breakfast...

I'm not familiar enough with HELLPS to know if it's a potential issue here. If it is then you're stuck with a hospital birth, though I'd look for ANOTHER hospital.

But get knowledgeable about breastfeeding. Insist they room in the baby unless you are DEAD.

Everything that went wrong can be laid at the hospital's doorstep.

pregnantmama105
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

thank you for all your advice, it was very helpful.

im going to mention. I live in a small city with three hospitals which only one can delivery babies... (doesnt make sense) the only other hospital that delivers babies is the one about 3 hrs away. which basically if you live in that city or within a certain limts from the city. thats where you deliver... and since the midwifes tunred me down an ob hospital birth is my only option.  ( ive looked up birthing centers I couldnt find any. near me) but I am talking to my ob that I want a natural birth no interventions unless medically nessisary. and for him to be place on me right as soon as he comes out. if she cant do that I will find someone else :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting pregnantmama105:

Hi
My name is Jessica. I am born and raised in canada. I am 23. And pregnant with my second child (third pregnancy).
Welcome, Jessica!
With my first (ds) I was induced two months early due to having HELLPS syndrome. He was out wisked away to a warming table (yes I did ask for him to be on my chest right afterm but they told me they would try. But it was highly unlikely it would happen since he was having issues breathing and with his heart.) They did tests on him. Got him crying. Cleaned up and put in a incubater right away. I got to see him from afar for only a few seconds in the incubater. They they wheeled him to the nicu. I wasnt able to even go see him until a few hrs later.
And any breastfeeding problems you might have had can be directly tied to that as the start. I need to read more but if there's a chance of going through the same again, talk with the doctor about what can be done BETTER this time.
After they feed me. (They had me on a liquid diet from the time I was admitted until I gave birth *2days*) and after they made ne clean up. Then they wanted me to rest but I wanted to see my baby. SO wheeled me down and I was able to see him in an open table incubater you a tube down his throught and through his nose. With wires coming every which way. I wasnt able to hold him. But we could touch him gently and talk to him. A few moments later the nurses in nicu told me to go back upstairs. (Still in l&d) I only got to see him for a few minutes... when i got upstairs. They moved me to another older part of the maternity ward. Because postpartum was full. I was given panfilts about bf. I asked when can I start that or when can I pump. They just kept telling me "wait until you get to postpartum. They will tell you everything there" surpirse! I never made it to pp my whole week stay (2 days before delivery. 5 with them watching me closely)
OK, the lesson there: When you deliver, be so well educated that you can correct the nursing staff on breastfeeding issues. It doesn't take much to get there, because they get little to NO training on this! Get a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. Do that and you will know more than most of the nursing staff. Also read a lot here, and get to know kellymom.com.
And advise any friends on this: The most important thing they can do during pregnancy is get educated about feeding their babies. The infant doesn't care wihether the nursery is decorated in Winnie the Pooh or World of Warcraft. He doesn't care what stroller you have. He doesn't care if you're dressing him only in purple-pola-dotted onesies.  He cares about EATING. So concentrate on the feeding info; spend three times as much time learning about that as you do on nursery and layette. **smile**
i kept asking where the pumps were (never felt thw "need" never got engorged. Like every one said i would.) Finally 2/5days i was told where the pumps in thw nicu were!. (Still wasnt able to put ds on the breast. They were still tube feeding) i have the lactation consultant came and show me how to use it. I thought i was Doing it right. I guess not. I never felt a "let down" and I tried to be as relaxed as possable. Most I would get out of both boobs at one time bit his would happen only once a day (I was pumping every 2-3 hr) was I would get 10ml total. From both breast.
That's EXCELLENT actually, or never getting baby on the breast. Half an ounce to two ounces is normal pump output. You were slightly below the half ounce mark but I'd expect that.
The rest of the time was less or just splatters. (I was a hospital grade medella*sp* pump) the nurse and Lactation consultant was baffled. All the other girls were able to bring back 3-4 jars (urine sample jar size) I just brought back 10mls at most.
Never mind the other girls. Seriously. Every woman pumps differently and they actually had a worse problem; oversupply. It's too much of a good thing and a harder problem to control.
I was also on all this medication for bp. I had to have a blood transfution. So finally at 2weeks old he was strong enough for them to let me put him on the breast. (Buy this time they started him on bottles and tried him to take a passy... didnt even talk to me about it) so I tried him on the breast. He had no interest.
Of course not. They bascially ruined it for you.
They claimed it was because of my nipples. So they got me to buy nipple shields. Didnt help on bit.
Of course not. That's like putting a band-aid on an amputated limb!
So they basically gave up on me. Only let me breastfeed for a few minutes before they told me to switch to feed him with a bottle (ff) to make sure he eats enough... didnt give me any other options. I still tried when I got home with him. but still he wouldnt take to the breast.I would get him latched and he would un latch because nothing was coming out. I would pump inbetween feeding. Nothing but splatters... so finally I gave in and we ff. I felt so bad.
You SHOULD feel ANGRY. They sabotaged you at EVERY turn.
After the fact I research to find out that we have no breast milk donor banks anywhere in my provience. I read somewhere that it was illegal to sell or donate human by products where i live.... but they only thing is to hopr a trusted friend has over abunance. Most of the time they ff to. Or trust a stranger on facebook. I hate tea but if I could have found some where i live I would have tried it. (I dont online shop ) I brought up meds but nybthen doctor refused to give them to me (this is just before he came out of the hospital at 3weeks old) I found a new doctor but by then I was defeated....

I'm not familiar enough with HELLPS to know if it's a potential issue here. If it is then you're stuck with a hospital birth, though I'd look for ANOTHER hospital.

But get knowledgeable about breastfeeding. Insist they room in the baby unless you are DEAD.

Everything that went wrong can be laid at the hospital's doorstep.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Yes, but they should have given you a pump asap, and used your milk to feed him instead of or along with formula. Also they should have let you try much longer to BF when he was healthy enough for more than just a few minutes. I was advised by a co-worker to bring my pump along with me for delivery, she had a similar problem to yours, but she had he DH run out and buy her one when the hospital wouldn't accomadate her and she pumped every 2 hours around the clock until her DD was 3 weeks old and finally came out of nicu. She did tons of skin to skin and took a nursing vacation-spent pretty much 48 hours straight, topless in bed with baby and finally was ebf by 6 weeks pp. I would recommend you take your own double electric pump along this time just in case, esp. if you are going to the same hospital. Also if you have to wait to put baby to breast, DO NOT let them tell you to use formula after only trying for a few minutes. Just keep him/her on your chest as long as possible.

Quoting pregnantmama105:

He was really sick. If he wasnt in the nicu he could have died.

Quoting PolishMamma2:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Hi. My name is Leslie and I had preeclampsia with my first son. I had one miscarriage a couple years later and a few years after that I became pregnant with my new nursling. With my first it sounds pretty much like your delivery. Couldn't see him for 36 hours. I was great at pumping but the neonatologist told me he would always need 50% extra calorie formula. he would never be able to breastfeed so eventually i stopped pumping. But i found an amazing midwife with my youngest son. She told me that there have been studies proving most women who develop pre eclampsia and eclampsia (HELLP) are deficient in vitamin d3 and protein! She had me take my daily prenatal, one thousand iu's of vitamin d3 and eat five servings of protein every day. It worked! My bp stayed down until around 36 weeks (I delivered my first at 31). It never got above 150/90 so they did not induce me until 38+5 weeks. We had some issues nursing at first that had nothing to do with his gestational age or the high bp but he will be a year old on June 20th and we are still nursing! My suggestion would be if it looks like you will be delivering so early again, take your own pump to the hospital. Check out on lactmed or dr hale's hotline if your meds are safe (if not pump and dump), and pump within a half an hour of delivering. Really though it may not happen again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)