Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why is poop color green/gray all of a sudden?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 16 Replies
My baby is almost 3 months. I only breastfeed. His poop is usually watery brown. Today its mixed with green/grape poop. He recently got his first round of vaccines and I haven't changed what he eats so I'm very worried. I emailed his doctor. Any advice? Thanks.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Not to worry. Those shades are in the realm of normal.

If you start seeing blood or glow in the dark colors, then we'll get concerned. But as they get older the colors can and do change.

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Thanx. I read online gray could mean something serious. Also everything says its normal for formula fed babies but there's nothing about breastfed.

Quoting gdiamante:

Not to worry. Those shades are in the realm of normal.

If you start seeing blood or glow in the dark colors, then we'll get concerned. But as they get older the colors can and do change.

ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM
It would concern me. But we don't vax, so I have no idea if its a common occurrence after vaccines. It could be inductive of an allergy to a vaccine ingredient.
Corina1987
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I don't know either. I hope the Dr gets back to me soon.

Quoting ceckyl:

It would concern me. But we don't vax, so I have no idea if its a common occurrence after vaccines. It could be inductive of an allergy to a vaccine ingredient.

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM

At 3 months?  Drool from teething could be a possibility or some virus working its way through his system (nasal drainage going down the back fo the throat could do it).

skylersmom44
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Green poop is a sign of the baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. Make sure to let baby nurse long enough on each breast before switching and always start nursing on the side you stopped on last time. That should fix the problem.

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Thanx for the info. That's interesting. He just got over a cold. No teeth yet but it could be any time.

Quoting K8wizzo:

At 3 months?  Drool from teething could be a possibility or some virus working its way through his system (nasal drainage going down the back fo the throat could do it).

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Thanx for the info. He often falls asleep after drinking a little. Sometimes he refuses one breast so I switch to the other. The poop had gray in it too.

Quoting skylersmom44:

Green poop is a sign of the baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. Make sure to let baby nurse long enough on each breast before switching and always start nursing on the side you stopped on last time. That should fix the problem.

skylersmom44
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I had the same issue with my son at about that age. I started doing block feedings and it corrected itself within 2 weeks. His was bright green though.

Quoting Corina1987:

Thanx for the info. He often falls asleep after drinking a little. Sometimes he refuses one breast so I switch to the other. The poop had gray in it too.

Quoting skylersmom44:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Precisely my thoughts. Pre-teething can drag on for months before a tooth erupts. :-( If it was consistently clay colored I'd be concerned, but various shades of green can be normal.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN