Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Questions for the co-sleepers out there

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 29 Replies

This might sound like a silly question, but how exactly do you cosleep?  I have looked online and saw that there are plenty of fancy looking things that attach to the bed, or that you can place in the bed.  To me, it just looks a bit over the top, especially considering we have a pack n play right there anyways.  Do most of you simply just have the baby in bed with you and either the LO sleep between you and your SO or with something along the side of the bed to prevent rolling, and also pay attention to where the blanket is?  I ask this because that is mostly what I have been doing with DS when he falls asleep with me.  He doesn't always sleep with me, but being that he is still isn't rolling and only sleeping for 2-3 hour stretches at a time, it seems so much easier for me to just let him sleep where he falls asleep after nursing rather that risk waking him back up to put him in his crib. 

Now my husband is sleeping in the spare room downstairs due to him having to work the next morning, so I figured he may as well get some sleep since I have to be up anyways.  However when I mentioned something to him about DS sleeping with me, he was not happy.  I never did it with DD because I was afraid of the risks everyone associated with it.  This time around though it seems like there are more people who support it.  How can I let him know it really isn't that bad?  has anyone else had to deal with a difference of opinion with their SO? 

And lastly, when you wanted to start having your LO sleep in their own crib/bed, how was the transition?

Thanks ladies, your input is much appreciated!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
We have 2 queen matresses pushed together on the floor and just use a sheet to cover. DS is 21 months old, it has been this way since he was 6 months, before that he STTN in his crib across the hall. :-( We will be co-sleeping with # 2 from the get-go.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I sleep in the middle and Lexi sleeps next to me at chest level. No heavy blankets, loose sheets or big pillows. We bought a little co sleeper that goes in our bed but its still a pain in the ass to take her in and out to nurse so we don't use it.
BoxxyBabee
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Bed is next to wall, dd sleeps on that side or in the middle
bear.katten
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
DS would sleep on top of our blanket (we only used a sheet for the first 4 months) and his head was below out pillows so he couldn't turn his face into them. DF didn't want to cosleep but it was nonnegotiable since I was the one getting up with the baby 100% of the time. Now DF doesn't mind having DS in our bed.
I'm no help with the transition. Around 7.5/8 months DS decided he liked his crib more so now he is just in our bed after around 2am (because he sleeps better).
Emadele
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

we took the front off the crib (its a 3-in-1) and pushed it up against the bed on my side.  i try to keep DS2 on that side as much s possible.  DH  isn't comfortable with DS2 between us.  

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
lulu_tattoos
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I've always slept with him cradled in my arm with the other arm over him. This way I'm completely aware of him and know he's not rolling off the bed, on to a pillow, or into daddy. My arm also keeps the sheet down around his belly where it can't come up over his face. And sleeping belly to belly on this way encourages a healthy breathing pattern and also makes dream feeds possible.
Blankets are kept down around my waist, not even up to his feet, and I keep my pillow on the opposite side of me as he is lying.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this
In my family, the baby always slept on the outside of me. I was always in the middle and my dh or older sibling slept to the other side of me. Usually my dh slept in the basement, with the TV blasting all night while he snored the house down.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM
When ds was born he went in between me and the wall and dh was on the other side. Then around 4 months he started sleeping longer stretches of time without me so he went down either on the bed or in his playpen until the next time he woke up, then I went to bed and brought him in with me. Now at a year he still goes into his playpen for the first half of the night and comes in with me and dh in the early hours of the morning. The only thing I did differently was tuck my sheet and blanket in so that it didn't come up as high for the months before he started moving around on his own. We have a bed rail on the bed so there is no accidental rolling off the edge. We got that after he started moving around. We prefer not to have ds in between us because dh is a light sleeper and ds tends to wake up more next to him. My kids don't like blankets for some reason so once they started taking them off of them and me I just started dressing them warmer and leaving them out of the blanket. Dd never slept with anyone other than me because I wasn't married until after she started sleeping on her own. I think that's everything. I also took my stuffed bear out of my bed when she was born. I had slept with it in or next to my bed my whole life. As a baby it was on my dresser attached to my crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM
There are lots of resources, one great book.i.love is called "three in a bed", www.askdrsears.com is a great resource, i think that www.drjaygordon.com has some stuff on bedsharing as well.

Here is what we do. We have a queen size bed we put up.against the wall. When thet are tiny i roll up a recieving blanket and put it between the bed and the wall. I dont have any blankets or pillows there. Baby is between me and the wall and then dh is at the end of the bed (im ij the middle) and once in a while we will have and extra little person between me and dh. When my kids get older they will go between me and the wall or me and dh. We all sleep better that way, its safe and dh loved being in next to us. It did help with bonding, especiallt when they get older and cuddle with daddy too.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM

When our first was born, almost 9 years ago, it was my husand who brought up bed-sharing, because we weren't getting any sleep with him in his crib.  We've now done it with all the kids.  I'm currently bed-sharing with our fifth, who is almost 3 months old.

Our bed is up against the wall, the wall side is my husbands side (but he's in Korea at the moment.  I do not worry about my kids rolling because they sleep in my arms, and my arms are wrapped around them, so they don't have room to roll.

We do an extremely slow transition to their own bed, but I'll be modifying it for this one, since we no longer have a crib (it's my older girls full size bed now).  I start out getting them used to napping in their pack n play around a month old.  Then at 6 months old I have them start out the night sleeping in their pack n play, when they'll let me, when they start sleeping through the night I have them sleep in our room, in the pack n play all night. 1-2 months later we usually start them off in the pack n play in our room, then when I go to bed, I move them to their bed in their room (the last two moved into a room with their sibling of the same sex) so that they'd wake up in the morning in their room.  Then somewhere between 18-20 months they all ended up sleeping full nights in their own rooms.

I never had any issues.  All our kids are then also welcome to come in and cuddle in the mornings once whatever new baby we have is 3-4 months old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)