Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick Question - BF and the cat box

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 2 Replies
Okay. I know that you are not supposed to clean the cat box while pregnant. But after birth and I start breastfeeding, can I resume litter duty? Hubby has been kind enough to say he would clean it during the pregnancy, but I am lucky if he cleans it once a week, it is so gross. And he gets cranky if I bring up cleaning it more often. I am tired of lookong at it for the past 9 months and need to take care of it properly.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Yogamom08
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I still scooped while pregnant, and i do while breast feeding. i use rubber gloves and wore a medical mask to be safe.

The "danger" of scooping litter is Toxoplasmosis. It's a parasite that your cat can only get from eating raw meat, animals outside, or soil. But those things have to be infected with the parasite.

So hypothetically, if your cat is infected, he will only actively shed the parasite through his feces for two or three weeks. And the parasite only sheds after 24 hours after the cat poops.

So, if you start with a clean litter pan and brand new litter and scoop once or twice a day every day (and wear gloves and a mask to ease your mind), you should be absolutely fine!

My husband is the same...only scoops once or twice a week, so I just do it myself :)

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Yes, you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)