Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

L2, L4 -- Questions

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 5 Replies

So, I had never heard of "L" anything until this group.  I've seen the Kellymom page with some medications listed.  

Is that the only page?  Where did you all find the info that formula is an L4?  (I just want to see it for myself and see any other medications.) 

I take a medication that I've been off of for well over a year now to get pregnant and bf and I'd like to see if it has an "l" rating.  

by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
IrishIz
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I can look the med up for you. Either post here or message me.

A lot of people use lactmed because it is free. I generally use dr. Hale....he is THE goto for medications and breast feeding. I pay for hale because I'm an ibclc and it just makes sense for me.

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

The "L" category rating comes from Dr. Hale, who literally wrote the book on Medications and Mother's Milk.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM

L is Lactation Risk Category. I'm not sure if Dr. Hale actually created the system, but he IS the nation's leading expert on medications and mother's milk. Unfortunately his book is not online, and that's why you see Kellymom cited so often. She gets the data from his book.

LactMed is run by the National Institutes of Health. Doesn't use the L-rating system but still is more accurate than what you'll get from the manufacturer insert, which has more to do with a company's financial health (as in lawsuit protection) than patient health.

maggiemom2000
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The classifications are described in MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale,(latest edition, 2012).  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

I'ver heard people on this forum say that formula is classified as L4, but I've never seen any documentaion, evidence, research, to support that. Giving formula does have documented risks, which may be why people feel it is an L4.

SadieJames
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I t*think* it's considered an L4 because its possibly hazardous to the bfing relationship, not necessarily an L4 to the baby kwim?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

The classifications are described in MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale,(latest edition, 2012).  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

I'ver heard people on this forum say that formula is classified as L4, but I've never seen any documentaion, evidence, research, to support that. Giving formula does have documented risks, which may be why people feel it is an L4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)