Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

responding to the pump

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 10 Replies
I think my boobs are not responding to the pump as well as they use to. How do I fix that? I have a medela pump in style and an ameda purely yours.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM
How often do you pump and why?
BoxxyBabee
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Mon, tue, wed, thur so my dd can go to daycare on thur. I pump 5 or 6 times between those days

Quoting melindabelcher:

How often do you pump and why?

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
How much are you getting when you pump? How long are you leaving baby and how much do you leave? Do you pump at least every 3hrs while away?
BoxxyBabee
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I use to get 3oz every time I pumped. Now I get about an ounce. I use to leave 16oz for 12hrs, but the last 2 weeks I was only able to get 10-12. I pump when baby is away, those are my best days.

Quoting melindabelcher:

How much are you getting when you pump? How long are you leaving baby and how much do you leave? Do you pump at least every 3hrs while away?

BoxxyBabee
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Dd goes to daycare tomorrow and so far I only have 8oz. Good thing I have to pick her up early
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Try pumping first thing in the morning every day.  The absolute most she should have for 12 hours away from you is 15 oz, but if you nurse at drop off and pick-up, 12 oz is more than fine.

If you nurse at drop-off at 6, 2 oz bottle at 8, 2 oz at 10, 2 oz at 12, 2 oz at 2, 2 oz at 4, nurse at 6... you could get away with 10 oz a day without issue. 

BoxxyBabee
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I use to give them 2oz bottles but daycare said that wasnt enough, so they had me up it to 3oz then 4oz. Sometimes they dont use the 4th bottle and sometimes they do. Idk. I should just give them 3 4oz bottles and if shes hungry, she could get solids... I think every 2hrs for feeding is too much, she usually goes every 4hrs.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Try pumping first thing in the morning every day.  The absolute most she should have for 12 hours away from you is 15 oz, but if you nurse at drop off and pick-up, 12 oz is more than fine.

If you nurse at drop-off at 6, 2 oz bottle at 8, 2 oz at 10, 2 oz at 12, 2 oz at 2, 2 oz at 4, nurse at 6... you could get away with 10 oz a day without issue. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I'd go back down to 3 or 3.5 oz bottles--that's the max for a breastfed baby.  Are they feeding slowly, burping every ounce?  A 3 oz bottle should take about 20 minutes to give.  If she still wants to suck afterwards, they can give her a pacifier.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

I use to give them 2oz bottles but daycare said that wasnt enough, so they had me up it to 3oz then 4oz. Sometimes they dont use the 4th bottle and sometimes they do. Idk. I should just give them 3 4oz bottles and if shes hungry, she could get solids... I think every 2hrs for feeding is too much, she usually goes every 4hrs.

Quoting K8wizzo:

BoxxyBabee
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Im not sure what they do. When I go pick her up I try to ask questions but I get "oh I wasnt here" or "oh I wasnt the one taking care of her, the other lady left" she wont take the pacifier but I dont think she cries much there

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'd go back down to 3 or 3.5 oz bottles--that's the max for a breastfed baby.  Are they feeding slowly, burping every ounce?  A 3 oz bottle should take about 20 minutes to give.  If she still wants to suck afterwards, they can give her a pacifier.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Quoting K8wizzo:

BoxxyBabee
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Ill start 3 bottles or 3.5oz
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)