Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Update

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 7 Replies
Im currently breastfeeding my 13 month old son. I want to wean him by July so we will be done by the time we go on vacation and before I start back school in August. I dont know how to wean him. Any suggestions? Also, TMI, I had my son last year in April. Got AF in June (i know it was AF because I had already stopped bleeding from the birth two and a half weeks after having my son). Well I still havent gotten AF since June last year and Im wondering when should I expect it?

UPDATE:
Thank you everyone for your input. I guess since hes eating a lot more table food than nursing it would be ok to just let him self wean. When I go back to school he will only be in daycare only 3 days a week for no more than 5 hours. And since we will be flying when we go on vacation it may be best to still be nursing. Im just not sure how he will act in daycare when its nap time since he nurses at that time.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
k_cook12
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Bump
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's it. One feeding per week till gone, replace it however you like at this age. Don't expect baby to cooperate; there's no way to get him to do that.

AF will show when it shows. All return dates are normal. It's more likely to show up once you're weaned but we've seen moms wait months past weaning.

FYI, in this group, don't bump your own post till an hour has past. We work from the oldest unanswered post.

k_cook12
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Thank you. I have been trying that but my son still finds a way to get to the boobs. if I tell him no, he falls out crying and CIO is not an option. He eats when I eat and I even make sure he has a snack just in case he's hungry before I eat. I keep juice or water in his supply cup. 

asaffell
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Also, it's pretty common for women to stop bleeding after birth and then have it restart two weeks later - if you haven't had a cycle since, it probably was just continuation of postpartum bleeding and not the return of menstruation. My cycles were always back to normal and on my normal schedule when they really started up again (around 11 months postpartum).

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

You can try to distract and delay... we'll nurse after lunch or after we go to the park or whatever.  If you are truly serious about weaning, you'll need to treat nursing-related tantrums the way you'd treat any other tantrums.

For returning to school, you don't need to pump during the day--you could just nurse while you're together if you're interested in doing that... no need to pump past the 12 month mark.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Drop one feeding per week until all are gone. If he's not initiating it do not expect it to be tear free.

BabyFruit Ticker

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM

He's a little young for my favorite distract and delay method: "We'll nurse after Barney." Or "We'll nurse when the big hand is on the one." But you can try redirecing or offering something different.

But thinking some more about it: If you're going to be flying on your vacation, and if baby will be with you, you might want to keep nursing in your Mom Tool Box. Nursing on takeoff makes for a less cranky flier. And when you go back to school you can still nurse when home. There's no problem with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)